Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by queenie621

Member Name: queenie621
Cruise Date: June 2009
Embarkation: Boston
Destination: Bermuda
See More About: Norwegian Spirit Cruise Reviews | Bermuda Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

Great times on the Spirit!
This was my second time on an NCL cruise and I thoroughly enjoyed the trip! The passengers were mostly New Englander's, and were very warm and friendly and down-to-earth. Highlights of the cruise for me were:

1. The Martini Tastings! Gede, the Martini Master, gave a wonderful presentation on the history of martini's and demonstrated his talents in making a variety of martini's for us to taste (5). For $15, this was well worth it! The "tastings" were more like small glasses, and after 5 of these, I could barely walk back to my cabin. I was out of commission for the next few hours after that, although we all had lots of fun laughing hysterically over nothing!

2. Le Bistro- By far, the best meal I had on the ship and well worth the extra cover charge. The escargots were to die for, the roasted rack of lamb was superb, the cream of mushroom soup was heavenly, the Cline Zinfandel a perfect complement to the meal. We didn't have room for dessert after our meal, but I ordered the Creme Brulee anyway, and was not disappointed. Our wait staff was excellent and made the experience a real treat for us.

3. Sushi!! We ate sushi twice, the first and last nights, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves! The fish was fresh and the rolls were creative and interesting, and yummy!!! The sake portions were extremely small, and overpriced, so don't even bother.

4. The Amar Orchestra! These guys were fabulous! They're a group of older Polish men and a very handsome young trumpet player who they joked was 16! His trumpet playing was impeccable and really enhanced the sound of the band. The clarinet/sax player was also fabulous as was the trombone player. We made sure to catch their various performances throughout the week and were never disappointed. The Dixieland set at the Bier Garden was great, and the highlight was the Glenn Miller set in the Galaxy. They also did a great jazz set at Champagne Charlie's that we really enjoyed.

5. The cruise director, Paul Scally! This was our second time with Paul this year, and he's the best! He really knows how to work the crowd and get people excited. And he's totally adorable!

Downsides of the cruise were:

1. The small cabins. We were lucky to have a balcony, but were surprised at how small the room was. Not even a couch to sit on, just two small club chairs. The balcony was small, but helped to make the room feel bigger. The bed was comfortable, and sheets were soft. The bathroom was small, but good shower and hot water. They need to add 120 volt outlets in the room; there was only one, and not enough to charge our various electronic gadgets. Also, it said not to dry your hair there, because of the wattage limit, and the bathroom hair dryer was totally unacceptable. I used the dryer in the "forbidden outlet" anyway, and fortunately, nothing bad happened!

2. Casino was closed on port days!

3. Shops were small and uninteresting.

All in all, this was a great cruise experience and I would definitely recommend it. Bermuda is beautiful and although we didn't have the best weather, the beaches were great and the sand unlike anywhere I've ever been.

Publication Date: 06/24/09