Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by 2910car

Under 3 3.0
        3-6 5.0
        7-9 5.0

Enjoying our Family on the Freedom

We were a family group of 14 - myself and DH (60's) our 3 children and spouses (30's & 40's) and 6 grandchildren (2-7). We have been on many cruises but this was the first for our children and grandchildren. Each family had two connecting cabins so they could put their children to sleep and still have a cabin for themselves. That worked out great.

The worst part of the trip was the embarkation. We arrived at the pier at Noon. There were lines of people a block long and this was outside in the hot sun. It took almost an hour to get inside the building. In over 40 cruises from Miami and Ft Lauderdale I have never had to wait outside the terminal. The children were all getting cranky. It was not a great way to start a vacation. We were finally on the ship around 1:30 and the lines at the buffet were very long. I seriously thought this family vacation was going to be a disaster!

Thankfully everything got much better after that. The children all loved the camp and we could hardly get the boys out when we wanted to be with them! The girls also enjoyed the camp but they also loved the shows, dancing and karaoke.

The food in the Chic dining room was adequate - not great. The waiters were wonderful with the children, taking time to make them napkin hats and ketchup smiles, etc. That really helped through the long dinners. By the first night the waiters knew all the children's names and what they liked to eat.

The children loved the pool and especially the water slide. I didn't like that there was no shade by the pool. I know you could sit at the tables outside the Lido but there was always half eaten food all around so not very pleasant. Also I could not see the kids from there and this trip was all about them. On other ships I have been on there are at least some chaises in the shade. I really enjoyed relaxing in the hot tub with my daughters.

The production shows were wonderful - had the children in awe and the adults enjoyed them very much

All in all we had a great time. Would do it all over again in a heartbeat!

Publication Date: 06/23/09