Radiance of the Seas Cruise Review by grannygirl: Radiance of the Seas - Alaska

Radiance of the Seas - Alaska

Sail Date: May 2009
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

We loved our Alaska cruise and tour afterward.  So much to see and do.  The ship was beautiful and smaller then the Adventure of the Seas, which we have been on.  Vancouver is a very pretty city, we stayed there 2 nights and took the city tour on the trolley to see Vancouver.  We stayed at the Hyatt which was very nice.  Beds were very comfortable.  On the day we departed for the ship we did have to wait a good while for the bus to pick us up as that same bus had to drop off people departing the ship that day.

Our ship, "Radiance of the Seas" was very nice inside.  Our room was too close to the main lobby though, and we did hear music in our room till midnight each evening.  We sort of fell asleep to it!  The Windjammer buffet was so crowded at times it was hard to find a seat.  This was mainly at breakfast and lunch as we ate all our dinners in the dining room.  We had the "anytime dining" and that worked well for More us.  I did miss the "Promenade" on this ship that "Adventure of the Seas" had.  This ship has shops, but not the Promenade.

Clothing:  Before our cruise we could not find much detail about clothing.  Some cruisers did have winter coats.  We are from Virginia and we just layered our clothing.  T-shirt, sweater, rain proof jacket with hood, hat and gloves is what I wore on the cold days and I was fine.  Our only cold days were standing on the ship to see the Hubbard Glacier and some light rain we had in Skagway.  Most of the time it was just "jacket" weather.  Fairbanks turned out to be in the high 70's and no jackets at all!

I enjoyed seeing some kind of land as we cruised to Alaska.  It was very seldom all you saw was the ocean.  We enjoyed riding on the train and bus to our ground tour destinations.  Only bus we didn't care for was the ride thru Denali Park.  That is a school bus and very cramped.  The train was beautiful and very comfortable.  The food was a bit pricey, but worth every bit.  I took movies and beware of the glare on the windows of the train!

Drop me a line if you have any questions, as I will be happy to answer them.  This trip was a dream for us.  I can't get it off my mind!  We are ready to cruise again! Less

Read more Radiance of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Radiance of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Radiance of the Seas 4558

Cabin was nice.  Only complaint was noisey in the evenings when you wanted to sleep, till midnight.  Loud music in main lobby and we were only 2 doors down the hall from this lobby area.  Had problem with getting hot water in sink till right before we were to depart.  We had a window cabin on the 4th floor. 4558.