Emerald Princess Cruise Review by franklin1: Cruise Late Bloomers

Cruise Late Bloomers

Sail Date: May 2009
Destination: Baltic & Northern Europe
Embarkation: Copenhagen

We flew from Atlanta to Chicago then off to Copenhagen with SAS arriving early afternoon.  We were picked up at the airport and bused to the ship with easy check in at the terminal.  Our trip left Copenhagen on May 26th and returned on June 5th and every port we visited, we brought along great sunny weather.

A few days before my husband and I left on our trip, Princess sent us an e-mail informing us that we had been selected  for an upgrade from a balcony room to a mini suite which blew our minds  We couldn't believe our luck and good fortune.

The Emerald was very large and it always seemed we were on the wrong end of the ship and had a long hike to the other end but it was good exercise.

I can't say enough about Princess.  They couldn't do enough for us and nothing was impossible and our room stewart was outstanding.

Since my husband and I don't care for eating at a certain time every day, we selected More anytime dining which turned out to be great.  The two restaurants were wonderful as was the buffet and we were very pleased with the food and the presentations.

Thank you Princess - this was a trip of a life time Less

Read more Emerald Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Emerald Princess Review >>

Cabin review: Emerald Princess Mini-Suite with Balcony Dolphin D215

Our mini suite was wonderful.  Great balcony, roomy closet, bathtub was a nice treat and the additional room was nice for relaxing

We toured the tri-city excursion today, as we were able to "pump" our guide for more informative information.  We started off in Gdynia was loaded with graffetti and the guide told us that when they were liberated, the  young folks wanted to see how free they really were, so the sprayed paint on buildings and nothing happened to them.  So to this day, the practice is still going strong which is ashame.  Stopped breifly at Sopot which is a very exclusive vacation spot and then off to see Gdansk which was the highlight of the trip.  We were there two days before the 40th anniversary of the beginning of World War 11, so the city was getting ready for the celebration.

Read 41 Gdansk Reviews

My husband visited Helsinki alone and I asked if he would bring back his experiences during his visit.  The bus tour was not that special but they did stop and see the Rock Church and then off to a famous restauant.  Everyone was treated to tasting Finnish food which he really enjoyed along with some local beer.

Read 334 Helsinki Reviews

(4)

In Oslo we decided to visit the Viking Ship Museum which was very interesting and then off to see a glass blowing studio. Seeing the artists do their work was intriguing and I could have stayed longer to watch.  I would loved to have purchased some wine glasses but found them to be much too expensive.

Read 143 Oslo Reviews

Day one we toured the city with many stops along the way.  There were lots of street vendors with all kinds of prices, so little was purchased at these places but our bus driver took us to the government run shop with controlled prices which were a lot more reasonable.  Since we brought the sun with us during our cruise, when we got to St. Petersburg, we saw bodies laying all over the lawns socking up the sun.  The second day, we decided to take the Venice of the North cruise.  The boat traveling the back canals of the city which gave us a different look at the city.  We really enjoyed this excursion.

My husband and I selected the excursions Princess offered, so in Stockholm we first went to see City Hall where Noble Prizes are awarded.  The hall features mosic tile which covers the walls in very intricate designs.  From there we traveled to see the Vasa Museum that we found to be very interesting.  Three hundred years ago, the Sweeds built a very large ship and thought it would sail but it sank in 100' of water not to be discovered until 1950 when it was brought to the surface in wonderful condition.  There was no place to put this ship, Stockholm constructed a special building to house and show off this prize.