Costa Victoria Cruise Review by isleofwightsal: Costa Victoria-Eastern Med

Costa Victoria-Eastern Med

Sail Date: June 2009
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Venice

We have just returned from 7 nights on board Costa Victoria cruising Eastern Mediterranean. This was our second cruise, the first being on Ocean Village 2.

I was slightly filled with trepidation once on board Costa Victoria when I realised how few British were on board!!! But soon I realised I liked this as we felt more 'abroad' than if we were on a ship full of Brits!!!  All anouncements were made in all languages, all staff spoke English and the shows were predominently english spoken/sung.

Our cabin (as was the whole ship) was spotless and everytime we returned to it, the room had been tidied, bed re-made. The only thing it was lacking was a kettle in the cabin for tea/coffee-making (we had this on Ocean Village), but I accept they can be a fire hazard.

Food was exceptional, you can choose from self-service buffet to waiter service in the restaurant with a very full menu. The Italian ice-cream is to die for!!!  You are allocated a table for the More week (for evening meal only) in the restaurant, but the staff are happy for you to change table if you are not satisfied for any reason. Each evening meal ends with the waiting staff making some fun and entertainment by various means, Italians really know how to party!!!!!

Fellow cruisers were largely Italian but there was also some french,spanish and a few germans and british. I found the Italians wery friendly and quite able to queue as well as the Brits!!!!

The evening shows were all a very good standard with the exception of the female 'magic' act, (would go down well at a childrens party probably though!!!!).

We only had half days in port which we found very rushed, I would not choose an itinery with half days again. We did not do any ship excursions as they are very overpriced (as with all cruise ships). We did our own thing using available local taxi's.

Ancona - lovely old town, but everything closed as we visited on a Sunday.
Santorini - you have to choose between Cable Car or Donkey to get up to the town!
Mykinos - very lovely with a beautiful sunset.
Corfu - very expensive taxi's!!! Lovely Old Town.
Athens - shame about all the scaffolding around the Acropolis. Facinating changing of the guard outside the palace.

Disembarkation was very organised but long and needlessly drawn out, we had a midday check-in for our flight home so we had no time to explore Venice which was a bit of a disapointment.
We would definately use Costa Cruises again, 9 out of 10 for value and satisfaction! Less

Read more Costa Victoria cruise reviews >>