Carnival Victory Cruise Review by nharyasz: Carnival Victory - Quite a pleasant surprise

nharyasz
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Victory - Quite a pleasant surprise

Sail Date: May 2009
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

Our cruise began with a bang, thump and crash, literally.  We shopped the duty free liquor store right in the San Juan port terminal.  There were 4 in our party so we carried on 3 bottles of wine and 3 bottles of 43, a vanilla liquor.  We were allowed on the ship around 1:00 pm.  We went directly to the lunch buffet on the Lido deck.  By the time we finished our lunch, our staterooms were ready and some of our luggage was already there.  We unpacked and then went to explore the ship.  After we had dinner, we went to pick up the tuxedo's that the men in our party rented for the formal nights (the best way to go) and then returned to our cabin and found that the rest of our luggage had arrived.  Because we had a long day, we stayed in our cabin to finish unpacking and because we had adjoining staterooms, we gathered in one and had a drink of 43.  We began to sail immediately at 10:00 pm.  We wanted to have a fairly early night so I had More my husband go into the bathroom to wash out the glass that he used and I heard a thump and crash.  My husband tripped over the lip of the shower with the glass in hand and  landed in the shower.  The glass broke and he had blood all over the place.  After looking at the wounds, I noticed that it looked pretty deep and called the ship's 911.  The medical personnel were prepared to come up to the cabin but instead told us if we could, wrap his hand in a towel and bring him down to the infirmary.  The staff there were phenomenal.  They took him right in and x-rayed his hand to make sure there was no glass left in any of the wounds.  He ended up with 6 stitches in his hand. He was told to come back the next evening to have the bandages changed which was repeated again the following evening.  Every day, we were contacted to check on his progress.

While we were down in the infirmary, my sister-in-law called housekeeping to clean the bathroom of glass and blood.  By the time we returned from the infirmary, the bathroom looked just like when we first arrived.  Of all the cruises we have been on, this was our first encounter with the medical staff.  I have extremely high praise for them.  Even now, his wound which is almost all healed looks great.

We had a category 6A oceanview room.  This included a king size bead and a sofa but no refrigerator like we had on our inside stateroom on our last Carnival cruise.  I was expecting to have a little port hole to look through but was pleasantly surprised at the size of our window.  One thing about the location of our state room was we were just above the thrusters. To some people this could have been a good thing or a bad thing.  For both of us couples, it was not a bother.  We were able to tell when we got into port in the morning by the noise of the thrusters going into reverse to slow the ship down and at night when we were leaving port (if we were in our room at the time). The closet space and overall storage space was more that adequate.  Even the bathroom was relatively spacious (for a regular room on a ship). We were toward the end of the hallway so it was pretty quiet except for the first night when there were kids running up and down the hall, but that was the only time.

The food, our room, the shows and the staff are rated very high in our opinion.  Our high esteem for this cruise had nothing to do with the fact that this cruise was free for us as we won a cruise for two, ocean view on a prior Carnival cruise.  They have a raffle at the end of the cruise during Bingo where the winner wins a cruise for two in a oceanview room for 3, 4, 5, or 7 days.  On our last cruise, I won it.  The only thing we had to pay was the port fees and taxes and also our transportation to the port. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Oceanview Riviera 1417

As a birthday present, I scheduled a massage for my husband and I.  We felt wonderful and relaxed afterwards.  We then did a little shopping on shore.  We went to DI for our charms. At this port, there were several taxi vendors pestering you to hire them for taxi service.  Some of them wouldn't take no for an answer.  None of the excursions appealed to us in this port so we did a lot of relaxing around the pool and worked on our tans.  This ship had an outdoor theater, so we watched a movie at night.  Pretty nice watching a movie under the stars and not having any mosquitos bothering you.

Read 808 Antigua Reviews

We did the Malibu Rum Distillery and Beach excursion.  The distillery tour was good and now I know that rum is basically a byproduct of molasses.  We were able to taste 5 or 6 different rums at the end of the tour.  MMMM good.  This distillery was located right on the beach.  So the second part of the excursion was right there, no additional traveling.  This beach was one of the nicest beaches that I have ever seen.  We were able to stay there for about 3 hours.  And we also got a complimentary drink, beach lounge chairs and an umbrella (if you wanted it).  The only thing about this beach that was irritating was the local jetski vendors.  They were constantly after you to rent one of their jetskis.  We also stopped by the DI on our way back to the ship for our free charm.

Read 707 Barbados Reviews

Here we took the Hot Springs Escape excursion.  The first part of the excursion brought us to the Titou Gorge.  The rest of my party went down to the gorge but I declined to go all of the way down.  The reason being that the locals were paving a road that would have taken us nearer the gorge so we parked and began walking down some steep hills to get to the gorge.  My health combined with the heat (my blood was still thick from the cold New England weather) would not allow me to conquer the return trip up the hills so I turned back and waited near our transportation bus.  From there, we went to the Hot Springs.  There were a few different pools.  We began in the hot springs, then went to the warm springs and then to the cool pool.  This stop was delightful.  I wished we could have spent a little more time there.  ONE SUGGESTION:  we were told to wear dark swimsuits.  We did not know the reason why so in checking, we found that due to the minerals from the ash that creates these hot and warm springs our swimsuits would discolor.

Read 491 Dominica Reviews

We chose the Pelican Beach Snorkeling adventure.  There wasn't much of a beach but my brother and sister-in-law did the Snorkeling while my husband and I sat on lounge chairs on the beach.  There was an observation deck on where I was able to take pictures of my brother and sister-in-law Snorkeling.  Also, one of the employees of this adventure, threw some bread in the water to attract some of the fish closer to the deck, so even if you didn't snorkeling, you could see some of the beautiful fish.

A beautiful port.  We originally had planned on the kayaking in Pigeon Bay but with my husband's stitched up hand, he would not be able to grasp the paddles.   So on The first full day on the ship after we sailed, we had cancelled the excursion.  Because the cancellation was due to the injury on board, we were refunded the complete amount.  My brother and sister-in-law did go on the excursion.  The kayaking was right next door to the Sandals Resort that they stayed on their honeymoon a few years ago.  They said that it was a good thing that we didn't go on the excursion as the kayaking was difficult due to the ocean currents.  But they said it was beautiful, fun and exhausting.  They got some great pictures.  Meanwhile, my husband and I did a little shopping in port, went to get my free charm at DI and then spent some time at the pool on the ship.

We chose the Shopping and Magean's Bay Beach excursion for this port.  The day was partly cloudy.  We have charm bracelets from Diamonds International and had to make sure that we stopped at a DI in each port for our free charm.  We did just that and then poked in a few shops and the outdoor vendor stands.  Being that the day was Memorial Day, we watched a small parade.  We really buy much but we were given a half hour to put our purchases back in our rooms.  We ran back and grabbed a sandwich to go and reboarded our transportation to go to the beach.  We had plenty of time to do that.  The driver of our transportation was quite aggressive and had many complicated twists and turns to maneuver.  Magean's Bay Beech was nice.  It is rated one of the nicest beaches in the world but in my opinion, I've seen nicer.  The water was warm (compared to the ocean beaches in New England) and the beach was clean but no real waves.  By that time, the day was hazy but we still had a great time and got some awesome pictures.

Read 2342 St. Thomas Reviews