Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by Naki Poos Mom: Nightmare of the Seas with some Freedoms Good Perks!

Naki Poos Mom
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Freedom of the Seas Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Nightmare of the Seas with some Freedoms Good Perks!

Sail Date: May 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

Just wanted to tell you that We just arrived back from the Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas cruise. The food was lousy. the shows were good. the pizza at Sorrentos was very good and deli sandwiches were also good.

The food at Chops Grill was excellent. Thick pieces of Filet Mignon all you can eat for an extra price of 25.00 pp.The gratitity for these hard workers was 15% on 63.00 was 1.04  to us that was an insult we gave him a few more bucks.

This ship is very long, our room was a promenade very nice spacious, and I enjoyed that. We met a More lot of nice people and our table we ate at were also nice too. It was our anniv cruise.
I just wanted to tell you all what to look forward with RCCL lines on how they treated you.
The cabin steward Karen Rhudd was Excellent. she worked hard and she deserved the extra tip I gave her. and her co account Jeremy too.

I do not think that RCCL has any good food anymore. they did away with the buffets, and chocolate carvings. Food was dry tasteless and desserts all the same Mousse and although they had icecream it was blue bell, and it was not that good too.  I feel that they cut down on food, the chefs on salary and the food used to be good years ago, this changed and if this continues no one will travel with them. I hope that the food IS going to be good to excellent on the Oasis, cause after spending a lot of money there the food ought to be the best.

I thought it was kind of strange that one floors food was different than the next floor. We were told it depends on the chef on each floor. We had a Jamacian chef. does it really matter who cooks your food on each dinning room?

A lot of people fell on the flow rider and got hurt. falling steps broken legs, arms etc.

The shows were very nice, colorful. Not like Las Vegas but ok

The drink prices for Mixed 5.75 each. for Frozen Pina Colada and Strawberry Dacquris were all 8.75 each.. Who can afford a trip for those prices? Non alcoholic beverages were 6.00 each.

The steward cabins are 3.50 per day per person, the wait staff gets 3.50 per day per person too, the head waiter the same and the Matri d gets 2.00 pp. per day for walking around and doing nothing.

We had a problem with our wait staff refusing to serve us on Ice Tea and forgetful on Ice cream., some of the dinners they catered to the other families and we did prepay our tips but they apparently did not see that we did, so we stopped going to the dining room after this one man at table 435 Issacs Dining room at 8:30 pm seating took care of us.

the assistant was nice but the head waiter was a jerk. I did tell the front desk about it, the next day he was so friendly towards us, but by that time I asked again about my coffee, he was so attentive. But when Ron asked for an extra slice of meat, he said is that not enough?
Well that was when Ron and I, Did not go back to the dining room. We felt that the staff was not being corrected and then the food was not to our liking too. Very dry tasteless and not what we enjoyed.

Over all the cruise was very expensive, the cities we saw was CocoCay nice beach St. Thomas, St. Marrten. very nice St. Marrten expenisve too. in Margot North St. Marrten French side was extremely dirty the animals were emaciated and boney skinny and the dogs were dirty and boney too. The town was very poor that is why they do not take the tourists there, they know that this is not what the tourists want to see.

Do they not have animal rights there?

We went back to the dutch side and felt that that this was alittle bit better we were treated well, not like in Margot where the people were not friendly towards us. they were like begging for us to eat at their resturant which was dirty. Who can eat there?

We did not spend much money but had a nice time. I hope that the Oasis will be better ( IN FOOD) as IF its not I will not travel with RCCL anymore.

We had a nice party for us in Crown and Anchor and also Meet and Mingle too. Crown and Anchor gave us drinks and a beach bag for free, that was very nice.

We had our anniv cake which was 14.95, to me a small cake was that costly.

For us to be repeated customers why not give us a free cake its only a cake.

Bottles of wine were expensive they had packages starting at 109.00 for 2 bottles of Wine, then 4 bottle for 139.00

6 bottles 154

8 bottles 209.  depending on what kind of wine you like

some drinks like whiskeys cost from 79.00 up. 1 single serving.
Spent an additonal 572.00 which I think with the auto tipping was just way too much. I think when they book our cruises the tips should automatically be included.
Overall my cruise was nice, I guess Carnival is doing the same charging high on alcohol I will give you a report on my other cruise coming in July 12th with Carnival
Linda

Read more Freedom of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Freedom of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Freedom of the Seas Promenade Stateroom Deck 6 7297

Great Promanede room inside cabinI feel for the rate of my money on this cruise was very pricy compared to the Mariner of the Seas she was the best the food for her was delightful, and very very good the cruise this time was awful the food sucked and I hated every dinner except for Chops Grill that was the Best and Johnny Rockets.I think you all better step up and start giving us better food on the next cruise Oasis of the Seas or many of us will start a fight and law suits flying around. For me to spend 1500.00 pp for a future cruise you ought to step up and give us more than gold and a nice balcony room. The dinners were so hard to digest, the salads awful and the main dinner like slop on a plate even little kids had trouble using the toliets. My own sister who is a dr. was very ill on this ship who had tummy problems the entire ship, and I feel that if the cruise does not do anything else right please give us better meals. Or I tell you I will NEVER USE YOUR SHIPS AGAIN. I want to have my next 22nd anniv cruise better with better food but the way it is with everyone else the Navagator of the Seas and others your food is uncalled for.Also the prices for the mixed and frozen drinks should not cost more than 5.00 each, 8.75 is just not going to cut it. Too expensive and a 1 bottle of cheap Berringer wine for 31.00 a bottle is normally 10.00bucks a bottle was outragous too.You can make fools of so many but us past cruisers you will not be able to fool!!

St. Maarten was nice the Dutch side better the French side was a hell hole. The animals were badly taken care of looks like they were where not fed, the cab driver told us that the french side was not a poor country and that the dutch side was. who was he kidding you can see that there was bars on the windows and lots of people begging for us to eat at their dirty resturants. I will never go back to Margot French side the dutch side was excellent we were treated much better I bought on the dutch side some French Perfume which I use at home Raquel which is wonderful and I loved it.

I needed more. I guess we go back there again next year I will lounge on the Orient Beach and Eat at Pedros next year on the Oasis. May 8th... Will you join us?
linda

What a horrible commonwealth this was. dirty and the people pushy trying to have you spend money here, diamonds international was such a joke, the jewelry overpriced and the gems not as great a quality. I am a jeweler from my own home town. I got a sales persons at Diamonds International bargain with me on the pair of diamond studs, from 1900.00 to 550.00 to me when I was there I said I want to see with an eye piece he would not show me. then he said alright. I looked at the pieces and the inperfections were there with lots of carbons inside the diamonds and I said you are charging 1900.00 plus for these? they are not even worth 500.00. they were more like 200.00 he insisted they were worth more.
Well i tell you they were not diamonds they were glass!! GLASS that is right Glass, i just hate that the cruise tells you to go see them you get a great deal you dont get any deal you get taken to the cleaners. i went with others out of the port the last time. This time I did not get off the ship I know that the last time last year this happened to us, why go back to a commonwealth where you are mistreated like a run down old sewer rat. Plezse do not take advantage of anyone of us, we are all making your lives richer by buying the garbage you sell us. Do us all a favor and do not tell anyone to go there, we have D I here in the states and they are all the same. Did you know that they buy all their diamonds from Zales Corp in Dallas Texas and not from De Beers, do not let them fool  you, you think that they are right. All their diamonds have flaws and not good the best diamond we can not have its in Tiffany's in NYC, which are the very best. Clear rich Blue clear diamond and some are pink too. But it seems like you all want to get the best deal. Please do yourselves a favor buy a diamond back home, tell your own dealer jewelry store the kind it is we are very happy to please and design the diamond or colored gem stone for you and for you ladies who had your diamonds for nearly 50 yrs plus you change your diamond, there just remember they are giving you garbage not the good stuff your honey bought you 50 yrs ago or more, you are getting some of you did get a rich colored zirconia or a cheap piece of glass. do not use this place trust me, its to your benefit not to use them.

IF you want that big tanzanite piece and you love it that much buy it but its most likely not worth it, its only in the eyes of the beholder for the diamonds and colored stones.Save your money go to NYC on 6th Ave to A Jewish Jeweler and buy directly from them, at least they will giv eyou a good diamond or colored stone and never cheat you or take you to the cleaners. Do you really know what you are buying?
Not one class can teach you this Trade that they give to you in one class on the ship. You have to learn this trade in years and they must be affiliated to the AGA American Geologist Association in order to sell you the diamonds and colored stones, if they do not have this then they can not guarantee your stones. Pure and simple. Do not be taken to the cleaners do your homework first before you come here and buy any Colored Stones, Diamonds and Pearls. Becareful; with Pearls too, real pearls are not Round they are funny looking the best one is the Conch most expensive like 1 pearl is close to 30,000.00 for just one and up. You can not understand how to read the flaws and diamonds in just one sitting. Like I said take a class for  at least 3 weeks learn the colors, and what to look for . The carbons are these colors. Tan, Beige, White, Grey and Black. the more carbons the less value of your diamonds.

The one with the less flaws is not always the best... ones.

I felt that I had more class then to go on the island and I chose not to go off I may change my mind next year but I do not think the Oasis will fit there with all the Coral below. Let the Coral live. Find another country why not St. Lucia or Barbados or Saba Island that would be nice!

Read 2332 St. Thomas Reviews