Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by Naki Poos Mom

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by Naki Poos Mom
Freedom of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Member Name: Naki Poos Mom
Cruise Date: May 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: PR
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+

Nightmare of the Seas with some Freedoms Good Perks!

Just wanted to tell you that We just arrived back from the Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas cruise. The food was lousy. the shows were good. the pizza at Sorrentos was very good and deli sandwiches were also good.

The food at Chops Grill was excellent. Thick pieces of Filet Mignon all you can eat for an extra price of 25.00 pp.The gratitity for these hard workers was 15% on 63.00 was 1.04  to us that was an insult we gave him a few more bucks.

This ship is very long, our room was a promenade very nice spacious, and I enjoyed that. We met a lot of nice people and our table we ate at were also nice too. It was our anniv cruise.
I just wanted to tell you all what to look forward with RCCL lines on how they treated you.
The cabin steward Karen Rhudd was Excellent. she worked hard and she deserved the extra tip I gave her. and her co account Jeremy too.

I do not think that RCCL has any good food anymore. they did away with the buffets, and chocolate carvings. Food was dry tasteless and desserts all the same Mousse and although they had icecream it was blue bell, and it was not that good too.  I feel that they cut down on food, the chefs on salary and the food used to be good years ago, this changed and if this continues no one will travel with them. I hope that the food IS going to be good to excellent on the Oasis, cause after spending a lot of money there the food ought to be the best.

I thought it was kind of strange that one floors food was different than the next floor. We were told it depends on the chef on each floor. We had a Jamacian chef. does it really matter who cooks your food on each dinning room?

A lot of people fell on the flow rider and got hurt. falling steps broken legs, arms etc.

The shows were very nice, colorful. Not like Las Vegas but ok

The drink prices for Mixed 5.75 each. for Frozen Pina Colada and Strawberry Dacquris were all 8.75 each.. Who can afford a trip for those prices? Non alcoholic beverages were 6.00 each.

The steward cabins are 3.50 per day per person, the wait staff gets 3.50 per day per person too, the head waiter the same and the Matri d gets 2.00 pp. per day for walking around and doing nothing.

We had a problem with our wait staff refusing to serve us on Ice Tea and forgetful on Ice cream., some of the dinners they catered to the other families and we did prepay our tips but they apparently did not see that we did, so we stopped going to the dining room after this one man at table 435 Issacs Dining room at 8:30 pm seating took care of us.

the assistant was nice but the head waiter was a jerk. I did tell the front desk about it, the next day he was so friendly towards us, but by that time I asked again about my coffee, he was so attentive. But when Ron asked for an extra slice of meat, he said is that not enough?
Well that was when Ron and I, Did not go back to the dining room. We felt that the staff was not being corrected and then the food was not to our liking too. Very dry tasteless and not what we enjoyed.

Over all the cruise was very expensive, the cities we saw was CocoCay nice beach St. Thomas, St. Marrten. very nice St. Marrten expenisve too. in Margot North St. Marrten French side was extremely dirty the animals were emaciated and boney skinny and the dogs were dirty and boney too. The town was very poor that is why they do not take the tourists there, they know that this is not what the tourists want to see.

Do they not have animal rights there?

We went back to the dutch side and felt that that this was alittle bit better we were treated well, not like in Margot where the people were not friendly towards us. they were like begging for us to eat at their resturant which was dirty. Who can eat there?

We did not spend much money but had a nice time. I hope that the Oasis will be better ( IN FOOD) as IF its not I will not travel with RCCL anymore.

We had a nice party for us in Crown and Anchor and also Meet and Mingle too. Crown and Anchor gave us drinks and a beach bag for free, that was very nice.

We had our anniv cake which was 14.95, to me a small cake was that costly.

For us to be repeated customers why not give us a free cake its only a cake.

Bottles of wine were expensive they had packages starting at 109.00 for 2 bottles of Wine, then 4 bottle for 139.00

6 bottles 154

8 bottles 209.  depending on what kind of wine you like

some drinks like whiskeys cost from 79.00 up. 1 single serving.
Spent an additonal 572.00 which I think with the auto tipping was just way too much. I think when they book our cruises the tips should automatically be included.
Overall my cruise was nice, I guess Carnival is doing the same charging high on alcohol I will give you a report on my other cruise coming in July 12th with Carnival
Linda