Norwegian Gem 3

“Norwegian Gem: Fantastic Mediterranean Itinerary, Nice Ship”
Cruise review of Norwegian Gem

yogatravel
Member Since 2009
14 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

As background, my husband and I have been on 3 previous cruises (Royal Caribbean & Princess).  We selected this ship based on its port-intensive Western Mediterranean itinerary and unbeatable value.  We opted to save money on the cruise and get a ocean view room and spend more money on the excursions.

My thoughts on Norwegian Cruise Line and the Gem:
The Freestyle Cruising is fantastic!  We were optimistic about the freedoms it would present, but boy, were we in love with the concept once we participated in it!  The ship offers numerous dining possibilities and it is so nice to go to dinner whenever you are ready...eat solely as a couple for privacy and to reflect on the day's activities..and to wear more relaxed clothing if we wanted to.  After a long day in the ports, we found we wanted to eat right upon our return to the ship so it worked out nicely to drop our backpacks off in our cabin and head to dinner!  The More staff appeared to have less interest in the guests.  I'm not sure if that was due to servers having different guests every night or what.  Those employed at the pursers desk were not overly helpful or polite; I found it frustrating when attempting to exchange currency.  Normally, we've had terrific experience with the staff on our cruises and they have really added to the experience!

The common spaces are nice; the decor is very trendy.  It's not nearly as "glamorous" as other ships but meets the needs and is pleasant.  We enjoyed several of the specialty restaurants; the food was very tasty and well presented.  I will warn future guests the ship had continual problems with both ATM's on board, so please be prepared and arrive with sufficient cash or traveler's cheques in case you do not make it to an ATM on land.

The cabin was great!  The bed was by far the most comfortable bed we've had on a cruise.  Decor was nice- very relaxing and clean.

We did our own excursions through Rome in Limo (we HIGHLY recommend using them!) so we didn't participate on any through NCL.  The prices were steep, but we heard fantastic things from those who did them.

Though NCL wasn't the nicest cruise we've been on, it was a terrific value and would do it again.  In all honesty, we cruise to "sample" different places and the ship is just our means of transportation.  That doesn't mean we don't appreciate great food and nice accommodations- we do!, but we don't really participate in many on-board activities so I don't have any recommendations as far as activities go. Less

Norwegian Gem Cruises to the Western Mediterranean

Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review: Obstructed Oceanview

OK8590
Great mattress, ocean view room had large picture window.  Closet space sufficient, but vanity area was crunched and I am a lean person.  Plenty of room under bed to store suitcases.  Bathroom is standard with other cruises.  The shower does include Elemis brand body wash, shampoo, and hand soap (smells wonderful!).  A blow dryer was included.  Mini-fridge was smallest we've had in a room but was sufficient.

Florence/Pisa:  Pisa has the infamous Leaning Tower.  The tower, Baptistery, and grounds were much more elaborate than I had imagined.  Pisa doesn't offer much more, but the Tower is worth the stop!  Florence is a beautiful, clean city.  The Duomo is full of color but the line to enter was insanely long!  Gelato is abundant :)  and shopping is terrific!  By far, a top stop!  I found some beautiful and inexpensive artwork here to take home.

Exceptionally clean island with friendly people!  Public transportation is cheap, reliable, and easy to navigate.  Mdina is a highlight!

Naples itself is o.k.  Go south into Positano and Sorrento (the Amalfi Coast) and enter a quaint world full of breathtaking views!  Try Lemoncello!  Pompeii is also another great place to visit at this port!

Read 946 Naples Reviews

Roma!  An essential European stop showcasing top "must-see's".  Vatican City was amazing!  I highly recommend a guide as the museums are huge and showcase far too many items to see in one day.  The Sistine Chapel is breathtaking.  Enjoy great pasta- we loved the food here!

Gorgeous water, beautiful homes and a short train ride (10 minutes) to Monaco.  This was my husband's favorite port as it was the most leisurely and very beautiful.  You can purchase fresh lavender sache's that smell amazing!

Published 06/08/09

Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Gem Review

Norwegian Gem Cruises to the Western Mediterranean

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?