Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by JayinAZ

Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Cabin Category: D1
        7-9 1.0

Freedom Cruise with 8 yr old
This review is from the perspective of a mid 30's couple with 8yr old daughter. This was our 10th cruise (RCCL, Carnival, Princess and a Disney).

We booked this cruise about 6 months early using the compete website and got a good deal.  About a month before the cruise I noticed Arizona rates and contacted the travel agency and they called RCCL and we got $1000 credited back to us plus we kept the on board credit bonus. We were very happy!

There were 3 of us on the trip, me, wife and 8 yr old daughter.  We flew out of Phoenix on 5/23 and the airport was crazy (Memorial day weekend), but we arrived early so no problems.  We arrived in Orlando to find a HUGE line for all the rental car companies.  We got Budget and although there we spots for about 15 employees, only 4 windows were open.  Rumor on the line was it was a 2 hour wait.  I noticed a sign that said fastpass customers can go right to the parking garage and get their car.  I had used that about 5 years ago so I gave it a shot and was still in the computer so we got the car in about 10 minutes.  Whew!!!!   We were in no mood to wait 2 hours.  Lucky us!!!!!

We stayed at the 4 points hotel in Cocoa Beach. Although somewhat expensive ($150/night), it was very nice and big.  I would definitely stay again.  We got a 2 queen bed suite with sofa couch.  We had a view of the surf shop below and shark tank. We ate at the restaurant in the hotel and it too was good.  There is a Walgreens across the street for soda or anything else you might need for the trip.  Like most reviews, the pool is small and kind of in the garage.  It was not crowded at all and worked fine for us. Beach was a block away.

Embarkation was relatively smooth.  We returned the rental at Budget in Cocoa beach and got the shuttle to the port.  There was a fairly long line to drop us off.  We arrived about 12:30pm.  After about 30 mins we were dropped off and waiting in the check in line which was very short. We moved to the next room and then onto the ship.  Once we got dropped off it was about 30 minutes to board. Not bad at all.

The kids program was great. My daughter loved it and always had something to bring back everytime she went. Everyone there was very friendly and they had a lot of activities to keep the kids busy. The food was good in the dining room (Galileo's) as was the service. I find no real difference between any of the cruise lines food that we've been on. We had my time dining which went off perfectly, never a wait. Wait staff were attentive and food was good and hot. No issues at all.

Our stateroom hostess was Suzette and she too was very friendly and did a great job.
I did think the video games were way too expensive. What happend to the $.25 games? Guess I'm just getting older.
Most of the bartenders were nice, but some seemed indifferent.
Debarkation was very impressive. Our tag color was called right on time and we got off the ship, thru customs and got our bags in no time. They did this very well.
The magician had the same show as when we were ont eh Freedom of the Seas a year ago and we were hoping for something new.

I have lots of pictures if anyone wants to see anything.  jay963@cox.net
And after the cruise we got a rental from Avis and went to the Kennedy space center. Way cheaper than the ship excursion and we were on our own time.

1st stop was Labadee, Haiti but it's not on the list below. We had to tender but the new dock is coming along. Labadee was nice but I thought the beach toys were expensive. We bought them on the beach and it was $15/person for only 1 hour. You got to use the icebergs, floating slides, trampolines and a few other things.  The big slide on the beach was extra and I think the floating beach mat was extra too.  The locals like to pull a beach chair up for you on the beach for a tip. I really don't know why they don't just leave the chairs there, other than they are looking to make a buck. They weren't nearly as pushy as Dunn's River Falls (more on that later).  Food was typical BBQ and it was good and clean. I like a relaxing day on the beach. The market was OK, but the deals were better in Cozumel. Dragon's breath was kind of lame but we wer there so we had to check it out.
Publication Date: 06/03/09