Carnival Splendor Cruise Review by boaterfan: Great family cruise

Great family cruise

Sail Date: May 2009
Destination: British Columbia
Embarkation: Los Angeles

Overall very happy with my 2nd Carnival cruise.  This ship is really family oriented, so if you have young kids (mine is 2) you're in great shape.  They have both Camp Carnival and a Splash Park area for kids, as well as the regular pools, water slide and mini-golf.  Service was excellent by room staff, dining staff, etc.  Food was great as well, Lobster, Shrimp, Steak, Fish, etc.  Nice variety at buffet, including omelette station for breakfast and burrito bar at lunch.  I read some of these other reviews and people complain about the lines - I'd rather be waiting 5 minutes for an omelette than sitting in traffic going to work.  Overall not many lines on the boat, and if there is a wait, it's usually under 5 minutes, which I'll do to get something freshly prepared the way I want it.  Soft serve ice cream machine a bit hit too.  This was my 5th cruise and I definitely recommend it as a way to spend quality time with family and not have to More worry about the hassles that come with traveling (driving, cooking, cleaning, etc.).  About the only negative thing I can say like other reviews is the "Web" - the internet cafe is located inside the Cigar lounge, so that is odd.  Likewise, getting around the ship can be confusing, but that has been the same on all my cruises.  One other thing that wasn't entirely Carnivals fault was the gangway wasn't functional when we returned to Long Beach - so the exiting was a free-for-all - 3,000 people trying to get off the boat once the gangway was functional.

Before this cruise, I hadn't cruised since 9-11, so one note is that there is all the same security checkpoints like going to the airport, which is somewhat of a pain but unfortunately I guess that's travel nowadays. Less

Read more Carnival Splendor cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Splendor Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Splendor Interior Riviera 24xx

I was toward the back of the boat and on the main deck inside cabin.  We could hear the engines slightly and definitely feel the thrusters strongly arriving at and departing ports.

Vancouver is a beautiful city - lots to see and do (Stanley Park, etc.).  We did the Grouse Mountain tour too up a gondola to the top - great view but not too much to do.  Previously I had been to Granville Market and other areas in the city.  Capilano Suspension bridge is nice but not sure if it's worth $30.  There's another suspension bridge closeby that's free I heard.  Oh, the Canada $ is very poor against the US $ now, so no great bargains there.  Definitely go here especially if you are lucky enough to see the sun!  Note the other ports I went to on the re-routed cruise was Victoria, BC and Astoria, Oregon.  Not too much to see or do there, but nice towns.