Grand Princess Cruise Review by Lou Skitt: Lovely Iberian Interlude!

Lou Skitt

Lovely Iberian Interlude!

Sail Date: May 2009
Destination: Europe - British Isles & Western
Embarkation: Southampton

We have just returned from a short week Iberian cruise on the Grand Princess.  I was a bit concerned as it was our first time on the Grand (been on Aurora and Ventura before) as some of the reviews on here were a bit harsh!

My husband and I are in our late 30s, and travelled with 2 small children 7 and 3, so wanted things for our age group to do.  As there are not many reviews with kids in mind I thought I would write one.

Likes:
Ship was lovely, no problems with cleanliness or 'scruffiness' as reported before.  Of course it's not going to be all sparkly new, but we found it to be in excellent condition.
Service was brilliant from cabin steward and main restaurant staff.
Kids club - both children loved the club and wanted to go!  Gave my husband and I some lovely free time at night to have meals together.
Food in main restaurants very good quality.  Kids menu too in formal dining which was good.
Anytime dining, only waited max 30 More mins for table for 2.
A Good Quiz - lots of daily fun and on at decent times, not 11pm as on p&o
Art Auction - very informative
MUTS showing things just out on DVD - Yes Man, Bedtime Stories, Seven Pounds etc.  Also on in room at various times which was good.

Concerns
Entertainment - not a patch on Ventura - really disappointed - average magician, and lots of old crooners - not our cup of tea, more for an older generation.
Bit butlins at times with sailways etc, but can avoid if it's not your thing
More choice for kids needed in Horizon court at tea time
Having to pay for a shuttle bus to Lisbon and La Rochelle!! $10 pp! including kids!

We would go back on the Grand Princess.  But if we had a choice would do Ventura over it. VERY similar in lay out ans style but found ventura had a bigger kids club, sports deck (hubby likes the cricket and football), and entertainment was better and scheduled better 7pm and 9pm (GP was 8.30pm and 10.30pm). Less

Read more Grand Princess cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Grand Princess Review >>

Lovely city.  We organised ourselves and got the open top bus from the main square.  Took about 1.5 hours and saw all the highlights of the city.  Could get on and off it you wanted.  Kids loved it and saved dragging them about on foot.  Very reasonable for food and drink.

Read 281 Lisbon Reviews

(3)
Don't think we saw at it's best as it rained!  A few nice shops, but nothing to get excited about.  Ship did look after our children so we could get off in the rain, as it was not much fun for them.

Read 205 Vigo Reviews