Carnival Glory Cruise Review by GTNE80: Cruising Downhill

Compare Prices on Carnival Glory Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Cruising Downhill

Sail Date: May 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral

We recently cruised the Eastern Caribbean on the Carnival Glory.  Our party included my wife, myself, and our 3 daughters (ages 23, 19, 19).

We have been on multiple cruises in the past.  All but one of my cruises have been with Carnival.  We have found that for our vacation dollar, a cruise is a great overall value as compared to other family vacation options.

All of this being said, it feels as if each subsequent cruise is falling incrementally shorter in meeting expectations.  Our first cruise with Carnival was a 4-day cruise out of New Orleans.  Our next one was a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise out of Port Canaveral.  We were blown away by these experiences.  We all felt that the staff and crew on those Carnival ships went out of their way at every turn to make out vacation experience special.  The "extras" were automatic and impressive.  Even beyond that, there were things that went beyond "extra" to being More "astounding" in the area of customer service.  Our needs were anticipated and our desires were met promptly with a smile.  There was no reason to phone in a concern because before we could report a problem, the crew or staff had already noticed it and had fixed it or were working on it.

The past few cruises feel as if that attitude is gone.  Now we make reasonable requests only to be met with blank stares and "what do you expect us to do about it?" attitudes.

Examples:

We were on the Panorama Deck, forward (10th deck).  Our stateroom air conditioning at times just quit working.  We would awake to stifling temperatures.  We found that blocking open the door to the hallway brought in some cooler air, but was hardly conducive to privacy.  We contacted Guest Services (an oxymoron).  After a brief visit by the Maintenance staff, we were told that there was no problem with the A/C and that the temperature in the room felt fine to them (between some nominal temperature limits).  After another sweltering night, we asked for a fan and were told that fans could only be given out in cases of "medical emergencies."  I'm not a doctor, but I didn't realize that fans were considered hi-tech emergency medical equipment and I'm not sure what condition would have applied.

Another example included an afternoon when my daughter came down with an apparent migraine headache.  We had been in port in Nassau on Sunday.  All of the pharmacies and convenience stores were closed due to it being a Sunday.  When we got back on board we went to the infirmary and it was closed.  Later, I went to the infirmary to inquire about some help.  There was one young lady behind the counter (no other people in the clinic).  When I explained why I was there, she actually shrugged her shoulders.  She didn't show any concern.  She pointed to plastic bins on the wall said that I could have any of those (including generic Tylenol).  If I needed to, I could bring my daughter back when the doctor was on duty.  The nominal charge for a visit was $80, plus any additional charges including meds.  Can Carnival not use a few of our fees to have a doctor do a short visit to make sure things are okay?

On our first two cruises, our steward knew my name after the first afternoon and greeted me by name each time we met.  Now, we barely get a grunt or a hello when we encounter the housekeeping staff.  It seems like they are being assigned more rooms so that they are so busy, they have no time to even look up and make eye contact.

This also applies to the dining room staff.  They seem to have been stretched beyond thin, so that now they are struggling merely to deliver the food before it gets cold.  They no longer have time to spend with the diners at their tables.

Embarkation - Actually went about as well as any I have been through.  We arrived early (about 11:15am) but met no objections.  We were processed promptly and found ourselves in the Lido cafe eating lunch in a short time.  No issues with luggage.  All bags delivered to the staterooms very quickly.  The rooms were arranged to our specifications (beds, etc.) before we arrived.

Days at Sea - Age old problem persists.  People hogging deck chairs that they don't use.  They rush out first thing in the morning to "reserve" deck chairs by throwing a towel or some other article on the chair.  Then they go off and spend the rest of the day elsewhere.  Chairs stay empty for hours.  Carnival refuses to enforce their policy of not allowing the reserving of deck chairs.  That forces customers to get into squabbles (I've observed way too many) or to enforce the policy themselves.  Now if I see a chair that stays "reserved" and not used for more than 45 minutes, I take the towel or article down to the dirty linen bin and toss it in.

Food - Main dining was adequate.  Nothing too special, but good quality and variety every evening.  I can eat my own weight in Chocolate Melting cake.  We ate at the Supper Club one night.  It's pretty awesome.  Watch your bill.  They tried to charge me for an extra diner, but promptly corrected the "mistake" when it was pointed out.  Lido deck, grills, and pizza oven were all good.  The fish and chips location on deck 10 is the best kept secret on board.  Too often we encountered coffee or drink dispensers that were out of service.

Entertainment - YAWN! This was the worst trip for entertainment by far.  The main shows were "same old, same old."  Lounges and on-deck entertainment was barely mediocre.  I like to go to the casino.  They have ruined blackjack by installing auto-shuffle machines.  Save your money and play on-line blackjack for fun at home.  It's the same experience without watching your money disappear.

Port excursions - We've finally learned to not even bother with the ship excursions.  Much better deals are available through local companies via Internet.  Do some research before your trip.  Find out the best places to go and either book with a local, or just catch a cab in port. There are plenty available and the competition is stiff.  The locals that are not hooked up with the cruise lines are actually thankful for your business and are enthusiastic to tell you about their home.

Overall ship appearance and condition - The Glory is showing its age.  Carpets worn.  Walls scratched. Other equipment issues discussed earlier.  Time for an overhaul.

Summary - Still a confirmed cruiser.  Maybe becoming a bit jaded.  However, I still contend that Carnival is going downhill.  They have become too blase'.  It appears that some accountants have been advising them on how to cut corners and milk an extra buck or two at every turn, instead of serving the customer and surviving on repeat business. Less

Read more Carnival Glory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Glory Review >>

Nassau - Arrived early Sunday morning.  The overall intinerary showed only about 6 hours in port, but by the time you dock and get off the ship and allow any time to get back on board, you have very little time for sight-seeing other than in the area just off the pier.

All in all, we probably would have been better served to stay aboard.  Many of the shops at port were closed.  Even many of the booths in the Straw Market were closed.  The streets smelled of horse manure.  We were harassed from the time we got off the ship until we returned with people wanting us to take tours, taxi rides, hair braiding, etc.  Unless you are going to Atlantis, Nassau has become a dirty little town.   Maybe it would be better on a day other than Sunday.

Read 2609 Nassau Reviews

St. Maarten - Hands down the best stop of the trip.  St. Maarten has a very beautiful port and shopping district.  It's a little bothersome that you are essentially forced to fork over extra bucks immediately in order to leave the area around the ship in order to use the "water taxi" to get to the main area of downtown Phillipsburg, but I got over that quickly.

After a little time shopping, we took a cab to Orient Bay and spent the afternoon on the beach.  The beach is beautiful and not overly crowded.  We paid $7 a person each way (to get there and to return).  Even with a generous tip, we paid less total for the 5 of us to get to Orient Bay and back than the "excursion" rate on the ship would have cost for just 2 of us.  The taxi driver, "George" was polite and informative.  He told us a lot about the island during our trips to and from the beach and the port.

We rented beach chairs and umbrellas right in front of a little beach bar/restaurant.  Cold drinks and snacks were reasonably priced and the service was pretty quick.

I'd love to go back to St. Maarten and spend more time seeing the rest of the island.

Saint Thomas - There were two other Carnival ships in port by the time we arrived.  Needless to say, Charlotte Amalie was very crowded.

It's a very pretty place.  We had planned to spend some time shopping and then go to a beach.  We took a cab downtown for the shopping.  There were some good deals on liquor (A H Riise) and they delivered the bottles to the ship for you so that you didn't have to lug them around with you.

The shopping took longer than we expected.  With the crowds in town, most of the vendors were uninclined to haggle much.  After some persistence, the deals started appearing later in the day.  We probably would have been better served to go to the beach first and then hit the shops on the way back to the ship.

Just a note, traffic getting back to the ship was pretty hairy.  It was a good thing that we allowed extra time to get back to the ship.

Another note: although the ship was not due to leave until 8:00pm, virtually all of the shops closed before 6:00pm.  Had we not attended the "shop talk" on board, we would have been taken completely by surprise by this.
Read 2318 St. Thomas Reviews