Outstanding in every way: Avalon Illumination Cruise Review by Mazeroski

Outstanding in every way

Sail Date: September 2016
Destination: Europe - River Cruise
Embarkation: Prague
This was a fabulous cruise. My wife and I enjoyed every minute of it. Avalon must be praised for getting everything just right. I could not be more impressed. Particularly outstanding was the quality of the boat's staff. It cannot be easy work yet everyone single crew member always appeared happy and eager to please. Either Avalon pays them extremely well or they are very well trained or both. This goes from the Captain, the Cruise Director on down to the cleaning people and the waiters and waitresses. They all speak decent to good English and are most helpful.

The rooms are perfect. Very well thought out. Plenty of room for all of our clothes. Very clean. Beautiful big windows looking out at the scenery although we spent most of our boat time on the upper deck.

The meals were all wonderful. Lots of choice for breakfast and lunch. The dining room was noisy but not unbearable. I bring this up because on a previous cruise with Avalon on the Rhone the More dining room was so noisy you could not have a conversation with your neighbor. The Illumination clearly has better soundproofing.

The excursions were a real treat. The local guides were all superb ranging from very good to outstanding. There were many highlights but I think the thing we enjoyed the most was the master's concert in Prague. I will never forget listening to the magical performances in the small hall once used by Mozart. Prague is full to bursting with tourists but just overlook them and feel the history around you. I want to go back.

This is our second Avalon cruise and we would rate them both 5 stars. The ship, the rooms, the crew, the excursions, the guides; everything is very professional and customer oriented. I hope that I can go on another cruise with them. Outstanding! Less

Published 10/31/16
Ask a Question
Post it here and get answers from Cruise Critic members.

Cabin review: E316 Deluxe Stateroom with Window

Very comfortable bed for two. Very clean. Well thought out arrangement. We loved the large glass doors looking outside; the best in the industry. Very clean bathroom with good soaps and a hairdryer. We like the flat screen tv that showed the front view of the boat. High quality build. Plenty of storage room. There was always fresh bottled water. Perfect, even though you spend little time there.

Read All Deluxe Stateroom with Window (E) Reviews >>

Highlights Tour

Fabulous and very moving. Lots of history of the Nazi and Communist eras. The best guide out of many, many good ones.

Charles Bridge

It was like going back in time 700 years.

City Tour

So much to see in this city. I was disappointed that it did not cover the Charles Bridge or the Jewish cemetery. We had to visit them on our own.

Day Trip to Cesky Krumlov

Very touristy but not to be missed. Wonderful trip through the Bavarian countryside.

I loved this city.

City Tour

The tour gave us a real feel for the city. I found Vienna to be too much of a big city. I preferred Prague and Budapest.

Schonbrunn Palace

Overwhelming in size and grandeur. Spectacular.

Compare Prices on Avalon Illumination Europe - River Cruise Cruises

Read more Avalon Illumination cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic’s Avalon Illumination Review >>
Mazeroski
Member Since 2013
Family & Children
Value for Money
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?
Skip X