Carnival Glory Cruise Review by fdjalk

Cruise Date: May 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Public Rooms Not Rated

Glory May 16, 2009 to Nassau, St. Thomas, St. Martin

I'm 31 and traveled with my gf and 2 other friends.  This was my third cruise, first with Carnival. My other two were with Royal Caribbean. Due to the swine flu, our itenerary got switched from Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, Nassau to Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Martin.

EMBARKATION:  Arrived at Port Canaveral about 11:30 and was on the ship within 30 minutes.  Some of the Carnival embarkation staff at the terminal seemed to be a little rude at times if you accidentally did something they didnt like.

ON THE SHIP:  At about 1:30 our room was ready.  When I walked in I noticed it was really hot.  The thermostat was as cold as it could get.  We met our steward who agreed that it was hot in the room.  She said she would call maintenance regarding the problem.  I also called maintenance myself.  7 hours later the room is still hot.  I called maintenance again.  About an hour later an employee from guest services came in and took the temperature of our room, which was 80 degrees.  She said she would send up maintenance.  After dinner, we came back to a hot room with a business card reading, "We are still working on your problem".  The next day, the room was still hot and after dinner somebody had left us a fan in the room.  The fan helped that night, but it was still miserable in the room.  The next day I called and asked them when the a/c would be fixed. They explained that it was not fixable and she would talk to her supervisor.  We finally got moved to a handicapped room which was apparently the only room available.  I'm thankful for the lateral move, but why did it take 3 days?  The weather was pretty good every day.  The ship rocked EVERY day like we were in the middle of a storm.  It made me wonder if the stabilizers were broken.  I had my doctor prescribe me SCOPACE before the trip, which is prescription motion sickness in a pill form.  I get motion sick fairly easy and this pill works great.

FOOD: The food in the main dining room was good.  The warm chocolate melting cake/ice cream is probably the best dessert i've ever eaten.  The 24/7 pizzaria was convienant, but the pizza wasnt very good.  Our waiter Jesus from the Phillipines was the best I've ever had and did an amazing job.

SHOWS: We attended all shows except the dancing.  They were averagle and what I expected from a cruise ship. I highly recommend watching the marriage show and talent (singing) show on the last night.

CASINO: I spent alot of time in the casino and lost about $400.  I didnt see anybody win anything big the whole time I was there.  The table games casino staff were very friendly and sociable which is really nice especially when you're losing money.

DEBARKATION:  We were supposed to begin self assisted debarkation at 8am.  Around 7:15am, they announced that everything was going good and self assist could begin debarkation early.  It was surprisingly fast getting off the ship.  In about 15 minutes after leaving our room, we were loading luggage in our vehicle.

OVERALL:  I would cruise with Carnival again, but I enjoyed my cruises with Royal Caribbean better.  The only thing I would rate better on Carnival is the food.

Publication Date: 05/26/09