Liberty of the Seas Cruise Review by sadie8: Family of Four - Liberty of the Seas

sadie8
Member Since 2006
2,786 Posts

Compare Prices on Liberty of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Family of Four - Liberty of the Seas

Sail Date: May 2009

We made our reservations ten months in advance with a travel agency that gave us OBC.  We had two balcony cabins on deck 7 that were adjoining, 7618 and 7616.  This was especially nice because the room steward also unlocked the balcony divider.  I felt like the balcony was larger than the Voyager class and also the glass made it feel big.   E2 adjoining rooms have a chair instead of loveseat.  We liked this feature because it added floor space to the room.  We kept the adjoining door closed but it was unlocked.  The location was great, midship, not a very long walk from the aft elevators or stairs.

We flew into Ft. Lauderdale the day before and stayed one night at the Ft. Lauderdale Beach Hilton.  This property is only a couple of years old and is right across the street from the beach.  We did not rent a car, SAS Transportation picked us up at the airport and took us to the hotel.  Saturday morning Larry's Limos showed up with More a white stretch and we headed off to the Port of Miami.  We arrived at the pier around 12:00 and check in was a breeze.  Walked right onto the ship and were in the Windjammer having lunch by 12:30.  The Liberty of the Seas is the largest ship we have sailed on.  You can definitely tell it is wider and longer than the Voyager class but still very manageable.

We ate breakfast in the Windjammer or used room service.  The first day at sea the Windjammer was a crazy place.  People literally bumping into each other.  The next time I went to the Windjammer for breakfast was Thursday and it was very quiet and calm.  The other days I filled out the room service menu and hung it on the door the night before.  Room service was always accurate and delivered on time.

We ate all our lunches in the Windjammer and the selection was fine.  I mostly went for the salads and fruit.  They have really good fries.  The pizza is definitely better at Sorentos. A really nice feature on this ship, they have a host/hostess in the Windjammer to help you find seating.  We were happy with the service in the Windjammer.  They bring coffee/tea, water, etc. right to your table or you can pick it up yourself from the beverage area.   All the crew we met had a smile on their face and were always very pleasant.

We also used room service for snacks.  The chizoro/chili dip is yummy, chicken wings, burgers and chips.

On the promenade my son ate pizza all hours of the night.  He even got a whole pizza at 3:00AM and took it back to the room.  We really liked having Sorrentos at one end of the promenade and the cafe at the other.  There was never a long line at either place.

We had early seating for dinner (6:00) and had a table for eight on deck 5, Botticeli dining room.  We ate all of our dinners in the main dining room.  We felt like there was always something we liked and the food was good.  This is so much better than we eat at home.  Also there is a chocolate brownie with ice cream and fudge sauce on the children's menu!!  My favorite dessert was the last night, a wonderful banana nut crunch parfait.  Don't bother ordering any cheesecake, they are not really cheesecakes at all.  Our waiter was very good and he took his job seriously.  He really wanted to make sure we were satisfied with his service and our food.

We went to all the shows.  They had three production shows (we've always had two in the past).  It was the first night they performed "In the Air" and it will probably be smoother as they perform it more.  The scenery and costumes are top notch otherwise it is your typical cruise ship production.  The ice show was very good.  If you are going to the 9:00PM show, get there early.  We arrived about 8:20 and the place filled up fast!!  Quest was as funny as ever.  Steve Savage in the Schooner bar was great.  He will be on the ship for the next four months.  My kids did more of the late night - they turned the solarium into a lounge one night and had a party from 12:00-2:00AM.  They said it was great, with a DJ on the bridge over the pool, lights, decorations, etc.  There was always something to do.

The children's area is the best I have ever seen.  This would definitely be a great ship if you have small children.  My son did the boogie board on the FlowRider, he had a great time.  We found ourselves back there several times during the cruise just watching the surfing.  We sat on deck 12 when outside, never had any trouble finding chairs.  I did not like that they had roped off chairs for suite guests and made sure I put that on my comments at the end of the cruise.  Most of the time these seats were empty.  I feel they should give the suite guests perks that do not take away from all the other cruisers.

Our ports were Labadee, Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Coco Cay (Instead of Cozumel - swine flu).  I had read all sorts of comments about the Labadee marketplace but the people couldn't have been any nicer.  Not what I had expected from reading the boards.  We sat on the beach that looks onto the zip line, you definitely want to bring your water shoes.  A lot of coral, people were struggling getting in and out of the water.  Also there was construction for the new ride they are putting in and this took away from the beach.

Our other private island stop was Coco Cay, Bahamas.  We went to Wanderer's beach and walked around.  Secluded, quiet, beautiful.  The only downside, high tide was not until 5:00PM so there really wasn't any water.  We walked out to the sandbar.  After lunch we settled in at the beach closest to the Wacky Seagull Bar. Lots of people were heading back to the ship so we snagged some seats on the front row.  We found the bartenders to be very generous with the alcohol (if that is what you wanted).  Our Coco Locos made us Loco for sure!

I would cruise on the Liberty of the Seas again in a minute.  Or any of the other Freedom class ships.  Royal Caribbean gave us great service and I feel like you know what you are going to get for your cruise dollar. Less

Read more Liberty of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Liberty of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Liberty of the Seas Deluxe Oceanview Stateroom Deck 6 7618

Love this island. It was about 9:00AM by the time we finished tendering, we took a taxi ($5 each) to Sea Grape on 7 Mile Beach.  We rented two chairs ($6 each, $5 deposit) and pulled them over closer to Public beach.  It was quiet when we got there but later filled up with people.  We turned our chairs back in and walked to the right (across from the closed Gecko bar, Marriott) and snorkeled a reef there.  We sat on our towels for a while and about 1:00PM walked to the street.  A taxi immediately stopped for us and for $4 each took us back to town.  Grand Cayman is so clean, the water crystal clear and beautiful, and no one hassles you like Jamaica.  They had a free water cooler in Calico Jacks.  We got eats/drinks when we were back on the ship.

We had booked the recession special with Phil Lafayette.  On his website this $30 tour included Dunn River Falls and Beach.  I e-mailed him ahead of time and asked if we brought school supplies if they could be dropped off at a local school. He was very nice and said "of course, he would be happy to facilitate this".  Several people from our cruise critic group brought school supplies to the meet and mingle and we ended up with four, very full bags of things.  Well, the tour was not what we had expected.  After the falls, he took us to a really good Jerk Pit for lunch, then dropped off a group for tubing, then drove us around, picked the tubing group back up, and then dropped some off for shopping.  By then, I was ready to go back to the ship and declined his offer of going to the Ocho Rios Primary school.  He is a very nice man and gives a good tour this is just not the tour I had signed up for.

Jamaicans could really use some lessons from the other islands.  We had been to the falls two times before and knew not to walk through the marketplace.  There was an employee standing there who told us "absolutely NOT, we had to go that way, we were breaking the rules."  That was just not true!!!  The market vendors said things to us like "why will you not talk to me, why do you not like us?"  UGGHHHH!!!!  The falls were very crowded but my kids still had a great time climbing them and the plant life and vegetation around Ocho Rios and the falls is beautiful.