Zaandam Cruise Review by 2315mill: Expensive lil learning experience

Expensive lil learning experience

Sail Date: May 2009
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Seattle

Just got back off the HAL Zanndam Alaska.. Took my husband and 2 sons. 10 and 15.

HAL just emailed me same cruise for a lot less $. How tacky! Must say this cruise is a snoozer!! We had a cute elderly lady in a wheelchair tell us how board she was!
  The day schedule never seemed to have much on it. I know it is a cruise usually for an older crowd. I don't think that was the problem cause they were a lot of fun!!  My son also loved the Hal kids club. He spent a lot of time there. The food in the Lido was awful!! I felt like they were trying to be creative with yesterdays leftovers.. And we had a hard time catching them open anyway..  The poor workers worked so hard to serve up the nasty crap! I spent a lot of our trip feeling sorry for them and how hard they tried!  My kids called it the "Pig troff More slop"  Pinnical grill lunch was good but small servings. We also tried to order room service twice. Both times they never answered the phone. When I called the front desk they told me "they must be busy"
  I spent a lot of time and money on this trip for my men.. I felt from the get go I was getting ripped off! I was a past cruiser with them which got me nothing! They dropped the price 50 bucks a person and upgraded to a window room after we booked  which I didn't get and no break on my kids staying in the same room.. Sorry HAL... cant say your corp made me very happy!
  We also waited 4 hours to disembark. I guess a problem with luggage unloading.

Read more Zaandam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Zaandam Review >>

Cabin review: Zaandam Large Interior Stateroom Main 2523

Our steward was FANTASTIC! Yu was always kind and helpful! I needed room cleaned of all down because of allergies. It was done very quickly. My son was seasick and wanted chocolate milk. Yu personally got some and brought it to my son. bedding and towels were nice and looked new. Carpet and tile needs an upgrade.

Line was long and slow to disembark.. I dont know why they cant open a second gate when we are still in the states.. Juneau was clean and beautiful!!

Read 837 Juneau Reviews

Very long lines! Elderly people have a hard time standing.

We arrived early and had to wait about an hour.. A girl working for HAL started letting everyone on board apperantly before she was supposed to. There were some guests that thought they should have gotten on first for some reason who were angry. The rest of it was fine.

Read 102 Seattle Reviews

Lines were long!! The staff worked hard but they need more gates. Had to boat in which was fine once we got on the "lil boat"

Read 160 Sitka Reviews