Rhapsody of the Seas 5

“Great ship and fantastic service”
Cruise review of Royal Caribbean Rhapsody of the Seas

franl24fan
Member Since 2007
1,308 Forum Posts

Overall Member Rating

This was my first repositioning cruise so I didn't know what to expect. The ship had come up from Australia, arriving in Honolulu then going on to the Hawaiian islands for five days and across the Pacific for five days to Vancouver. I have sailed on the Voyager class of ship and therefore I thought I'd find this ship to be less desirable, however that was not the case. The Rhapsody is older but is impeccably maintained, every public space and the cabin were spotless. I loved all of the glass used, especially the Centrum. The two story dining room was nicely set up and the Windjammer Cafe was easy to access. For this particular cruise all of the inside spaces were non smoking, including the casino. Smoking was allowed on the outer starboard decks only. I found the non smoking casino to be such a pleasure I spent more time than I expected there,  happily playing the many penny slot machines. This was the first on board casino I've seen with so many new video penny slots, and they More paid off in a reasonable manner. There were many places on the ship to curl up with a book, or just watch the water go by. I had an inside cabin, which was more than adequate in size, including a small loveseat, and plenty of storage.

The crew and staff were the best I've encountered on a cruise, starting with the captain (who just took over the ship) and down to the cleaning crews. The captain was very visible around the ship, including at the CC Meet & Mingle. I never passed a crew member without them smiling and saying hello. My cabin steward was a young woman who was so bubbly and energetic it was contagious. Dining room service was superb, the waiter and assistant waiter learned your preferences within a day and always provided your favorite drinks. Food was excellent, both in the main dining room and on the buffet. My only complaint (which I mentioned to the chef) was that the pizza and other Italian dishes were not very tasty.

Entertainment was the usual production shows, plus some very talented comedians and singers. The five sea days were filled with a reasonable amount of activities, including recent movies.

Embarkation in Honolulu was fast and efficient. It was a little odd to not get under way the first day, we stayed over until 11PM on the 2nd day.  However, Vancouver was chaos, never seen such a messed up port. The various cruise lines were all merged into one long line, with baggage check in at one central point inside the terminal, would be a miracle if your bag made it on the right ship. Waited 2 hours to get a cab. Less

Rhapsody of the Seas Cruises to British Columbia

Rates
Value for Money

Cabin review: Interior Stateroom

M3067
Great location, a little noise from some motor, lots of storage, very comfortable bed. Good reading lights.

Port
Don't miss Volcano National Park.

Read 382 Hilo Reviews

I used Roberts tours for all of my ports of call, rather than the ship tours. Much cheaper, more stops, great drivers. Recommend the circle tour that goes to the North Shore and Pearl Harbor tour. Allow a few days to stay in Waikiki, loved the way the buildings bring the outdoors in.

Read 411 Honolulu Reviews

Actually second port was Lahaina Maui. Little bit of a hassle to tender in. Skip the Maui Aquarium not worth the cost.
Read 411 Honolulu Reviews

Port
Refuge National Park was very interesting. Again, tendering in is a hassle.

Read 239 Kona Reviews

Published 05/20/09

Read Cruise Critic's Rhapsody of the Seas Review

Rhapsody of the Seas Cruises to British Columbia

Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?