Carnival Glory Cruise Review by tambourine63

Spa & Fitness 5+
Value-for-Money 5+
Rates 5+

May 2009 Glory cruise to the eastern caribbean

My husband and I were scheduled to sail to Cozumel, Belize, Costa Maya, and Nassau, but because of the flu outbreak, our cruise was re-routed to the Eastern Caribbean. I am glad they did that - mostly because it abated most all fears of getting sick. We had been to the Eastern Caribbean before, and although our plans excursions had to be scrapped, we were determined to have a great time!

It was our first time on Glory. She is a grand ship and was lots of fun! It was our 5th cruise, so we were ready to compare her to other ships. She stacked up pretty well!

Our cabin was HUGE! Our travel agent and good friend told us it looked big. It was an ocean view on the back of the ship - main deck. It was a little noisy during departures and docking, but other than that, it was great - very roomy and quite nicely located. We only had to go to the nearest exit and up to the Lido deck and breakfast was served! To get to the dining room, we went to the next to the last exit and up one floor to the 3rd deck and we were at the entrance to the restaurant. The recommendation is to go up to the 5th deck, through the casino and down two. But we found it easier this way.

The stop on day two in Nassau was short, but we took a water taxi over to Paradise Island and walked through the free part of the Atlantis resort, including the aquarium. Back in town we went through several souvenir shops buying trinkets for folks back home.

It took two more days to get to St. Thomas and it was just as beautiful as before.  We took a snorkeling excursion with Captain Nautica. The water was a little choppy and murky, so I didn't see much. I'm more of an "at the beach" kind of snorkeler. We had fun though. Afterwards we went into town and hit the A.H. Riise liquor store for our annual run. Then we did the souvenir shop thing again. This time we did not take the ride to paradise point, but for any first-time St. Thomas visitors, I would definitely recommend it. The view from there is awesome. I have a picture I took in 2006 if anyone would like to see it. There were 3 cruise ships in the bay at that time.

Next day we were in St. Maarten. We didn't do any excursions - our feet didn't even touch the sand! Imagine! We took a water taxi to town and walked around and shopped. The beachfront properties are mostly bars, cafes, and beach huts. The next street back is where you find all the little "knick-knack" shops and the cruise-line-recommended stores like Del Sol and Diamonds International. You can spend all day here. We walked back to the port from town. It's not a bad walk at all. There are some more shops at the port and we bought some St. Maarten rum. Buy one liter of dark, get the second of light for free - $12.00!

The next two days were spent sailing back to Port Canaveral. I enjoyed it that it worked out that way. It gave us a chance to relax before we had to drive home. I love the food on Carnival. I cannot say I had a bad meal. I had way too many Chocolate Melting Cakes! But my favorite dessert is the Crème Brule. I think I gained about 4 pounds, but I worked out twice on the treadmill and twice on the stationery bike. The gym is really fabulous! It was a great cruise!

Publication Date: 05/20/09