Carnival Glory Cruise Review by LILDUDETTE

Service Not Rated
Value-for-Money Not Rated
Rates 5+

Carnival Glory - Western Caribbean
Traveled on the Glory on Western Caribbean sailing 6/19/04 - 6/26/04.

First of all our flight got there around 10:00 a.m. Mears Transportation had buses that were running back and forth to the pier. I was told we were the first bus. If you get a driver named Bill Reardon - he's a real hoot, nothing like you've ever experienced before in a driver.

Got to the pier around 11:30 a.m. Lines were a little long but moved very rapidly. We did complete Fun Pass and I think that it really made a difference. After we presented our credit card for our sign and sail, we got our room keys and it was off to get our pictures taken. All in all we were on the ship and headed towards our room by 12:15 p.m. Having read the boards, we decided to pre-tip cabin steward, waitress and bus person a little in advance. I think it really helped. Got great service from everyone.

Ship was very beautiful. It was a little hard to navigate until we learned the Promenade Deck went full length of the ship. By the end of the week we had it down! I found some older couples though wandering aimlessly for hours, not sure if lost or not. Shops had some nice things and not badly priced.

Our cabin was 8292 on Veranda deck. Thought it was wonderful. Plenty of room for all of our clothes (and boy did we bring some!). Balcony was a little small but adequate for 2. Susanna was our cabin steward and she did a fabulous job! And the towel animals are so great.

We were in Platinum early seating. Our head waiter Rencha and bus person Alina were the best, and a lot of fun! The food selection was very good and we ate, and ate, and ate. I kept asking if they were going to have Creme brulee. When the day came, she didn't even show me the dessert menu, she brought 4 directly to the table for my DH and I! Boy was I on a sugar high! Didn't go to the supper club so I can't comment on that. We did frequent the Lido Deck for breakfast every day and some lunches. We thought the selection was pretty good and we ate, and ate, and ate. It was a little hard to find and remember where the grille and the pizza places were. Very easy to get turned around.

For those of you who use the "upper sunning deck" beware of people just coming up for a "look-see". I was amazed at how much time they could just stand there and chat right next to people, totally disturbing the sunbathing area. Many people finally just got up and left. The statements that were made were rude and crude and Carnival should be made aware of that. Unfortunately I guess there is not much of a way for them to track such things. Didn't find a lot of "towel" holding of chairs on any pool deck, only the ones nearest the pools. There were always chairs available on other decks.

Casino was neat to look at. I don't really gamble but DH and I went in to look around. Played some weird "scatter" nickel machine. Gave DH $2.00 and I had $2.00. Told him when gone, it's gone! I played max lines (9) and got lucky enough to win $38.00. Made up for DH losing his $2.00. Then quit while we were ahead. It was fun though.

Went to each art auction because we really enjoy them. We bought a couple pieces but got lucky enough to win 3 too! Boy I was on a roll.

I thought Mark Price, the cruise director, did a pretty good job. We found the entertainment on the ship to be pretty good as ship performers go. The illusionist was very good. We had to sit off to the side of the stage and we really tried to "catch" him, but couldn't.

Costa Maya - Did the Jungle Beach Break. What a bust. Water was not very nice and both DH and I got bit or stung in the water. Took the first available bus back to the ship.

Belize - Tenders for this day were horrible. Several almost capsized due to weather. Then trip in to port made many sick at their stomachs. Did River Wallace and Altun Ha tour. Thought it was very good, but didn't see much on River Wallace. We just pretended we were on the Amazon. At the end of the day Mark Price even apologized for the long delays in getting off the ship and the tenders. Many, many people were in line at the excursion desk that night demanding refunds.

Cozumel - I just love Cozumel. Spend lots of money, get lots of trinkets! Didn't do any excursions, just shopped. Boy did we. Got some nice jewelry and all sorts of souvenirs.

Progresso - Did the City Tour and Mexican Rodeo. The city tour was okay, but went right downtown. Guide took us to a very old church (really neat), the Governor's Palace (also neat) then to a shop where a guy was making hammocks. I think they must have had a deal on the side because didn't have time to shop anywhere else. Some local vendors to barter with on the sidewalks (very cheap). The area is very poor though. The Mexican rodeo was very cool and entertaining. My only complaint was sitting on concrete arena bench seating was a little hard on the rear end!

Debarkation went smoother than I thought it would. We had early flight so we were in 2nd round called. Had to meet in Amber Palace. Got off ship, cleared customs and grabbed a porter in the terminal for our bags. Found them quite easily, imagine that! Then it was off to the bus to go back to Orlando. And....return driver was Bill Reardon!

All in all had a wonderful time and can't wait for the time we can go on another cruise.

Publication Date: 07/08/04