Oosterdam Cruise Review by kimbacat16: If this is Tuesday ... then where are we ?

kimbacat16
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Oosterdam Europe - Eastern Mediterranean Cruises

If this is Tuesday ... then where are we ?

Sail Date: April 2009
Destination: Europe - Eastern Mediterranean
Embarkation: Barcelona

This is the second time the my wife and I have taken a cruise on the Oosterdam. The first cruise being 2 years ago on the Mexican Rivera. Second time around was not a charm. There are almost as many bad things to write about the cruise as there are good things. So I will start with the good things and for those who don't want to find out about the bad I'll warn you in advance before I start writing. First thing- it not often that you can go on a 12 day cruise and see Spain, Italy, France, Monaco, Greece, and Croatia. Such a whirlwind ! My favorites were Venice and Rome. My wife has her favorites of Venice, Rome, and Dubrovnik (in Croatia). We decided to do something different while we were in Corfu, Greece and rented a car for the first time overseas. Talk about freedom to meet the locals. Our room attendants (Sri and Henri) were top notch. Same can be said for our table attendants (Made and Efendi).  Being on a 12 day cruise is awesome because the first More couple of days your unwinding and you still have 10 days of cruising to go. On a shorter cruise- you barely start to unwind and half the cruise is over with. Now for the BAD.....We went to the Pinnacle Grill for my wife's birthday. Service was extremely slow. It took 1 1/2 hours just to get to the main course. There were 3 unauthorized charges that were put on our account and it took 5 trips to the front desk to finally get them removed. The Oosterdam is not being maintained as well as she should be. Frayed carpets everywhere. Our toilet broke for 1 day. The Cappuccino machine broken for several days of the cruise. This is not what you expect from a ship that just came out of drydock. As much as we loved seeing so many different locations; it was an itinerary not designed for most of the clientele that sail on Holland America (I.E senior citizens). By the end of the cruise there were several people sporting crutches and arm slings.  It is to much to expect people in their 60s and 70s to be able to go on a 9 hour tour one day then turn around and go on a 11 hour tour the next day. There was only 1 sea day out of the 12. Less

Read more Oosterdam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Oosterdam Review >>

Cabin review: Oosterdam 4016

Great view from our balcony cabin. The outer door was broken and had to be kept locked.

Rained both days. The visit to the Segrada Familia Church was worth it; rain or shine ! I could spend days viewing the architecture. Gaudi the designer was a visionary. We were worried about pick-pocketers but never had any problems. We had bought purses that go around our necks. So that way we would always have our purses in sight. A trip up to Montjuliec is breath taking. Some of my best photo shots were taken up there. There is an open air food market right off of La Ramblas worth checking out. The crabs were still moving; that's how fresh the seafood and produce is !  The trip on the Metro subway was fun.

Sunny both days. I have a love/hate relationship with this town. Loved the gondola ride. Loved going thru the little alleyways that seem to go on forever. Loved all the shops. Hated the smell of the canal (smell of dead fish or sewage- not sure which). Hated the price for a cappuccino at San Marco plaza. Paid 9.8 Euros for 1 cup. Better off standing inside one of the restaurants than sitting outside on the plaza. Hated that it was the end of our cruise.
Read 504 Venice Reviews