River Duchess Cruise Review by Jerry of San Francisco

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > River Duchess Cruise Review by Jerry of San Francisco
River Duchess
River Duchess
Member Name: Jerry of San Francisco
Cruise Date: April 2009
Embarkation: Brussels
Destination: British Isles & Western Europe
Cabin Category: 3
See More About: River Duchess Cruise Reviews | British Isles & Western Europe Cruise Reviews | Uniworld Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+

Ship Facts: River Duchess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | River Duchess Deck Plans
Tulips & Windmills

The River Duchess is a nice ship,though I found the room to be a bit small.  We were at the water level with a long small window.  The bathroom is the smallest I have ever seen.  The shower was comfortable for me, but I cannot imagine how a large person would fit!

The ship staff was very pleasant, a mix of European and Indonesian men and women.  I never had a problem with any of the staff.  A person who is not patient may have a problem with communication, but in todays world there are many languages to contend with.

The food was good to very bad.  I had what was described as a quiche Lorraine one evening.  It was a quiche with more vegetable than I have ever seen in this type of food.  I could see before I bit into it that it had been overcooked, but thought I might find a palatable portion in the inside, but unfortunately it was dry all the way through.  I could not understand how this could have made it out of the kitchen.

I found the wine, red or white and different vintners, included at night with the meal, to be pleasant.  My travel companion was much more critical.  Wine is a very personal thing so cannot comment for others.

The breakfast buffet was the best meal of the day.  Lunch was a buffet and alright.

We heard from other passengers that there were a number of people sick from stomach problems.  We heard numbers from 5 to 50.  Considering that the cruise had about 90 people that is a large number.  We could not confirm the exact count, depending on the word of two couples.

The big plus of a river cruise is that people subject to motion sickness will be very comfortable.  I never had a problem with it on this trip.

Publication Date: 05/13/09