Carnival Legend Cruise Review by alienvisitor

Member Name: alienvisitor
Cruise Date: May 2009
Embarkation: Tampa

two out of four
Our cruise started with them handing us a paper while we were in line to board the ship. It said that the stop at Cozumel is canceled and we could cancel the cruise and reschedule. We were already at the ship. We had to fill out and sign a medical form to determine if we have N1H1 flu.

We stopped at Grand Cayman and I went to Sting Ray City and played with the sting rays. That was okay.

I had a great deal of problems with the crowds, we had to stand in line for everything. I tried the dining room a couple of days and it was just too stressful. The noise of everyone talking was overwhelming. I passed the rest of the week. The water from the faucets in the bathroom was bright orange in the mornings and not drinkable. Some staterooms were like that all day everyday. In the beginning the lemonade was good but by thursday it was very weak and mixed with the orange juice from breakfast.

The stop in Belize was great. The excursion to Laminai Mayan ruins was six hours and we had to rush to do that. We boarded the first tender to leave the ship and caught the last one to return to the ship. We caught a bus that took us 48 miles to the new river to a boat dock. We took the boat 25 miles into the interior to a lagoon at Lamanai. Then we hiked about one and a half miles to the ruins. This excursion was great I really enjoyed it. On the way back our guide served us a dinner of traditional foods eaten in Belize. Our guide was Half Mayan and was very knowledgeable about the Mayan culture and told us some of the stories told to him by his grandparents. I am sending a picture or two from here.

Thursday evening we were informed that the stop at Roatan Island, Honduras was cancelled due to civil unrest and road closings. There were no alternative stops for either cancellation. They were replaced with fun days at sea. Not enjoyable for me at all. Some of the passengers were irate and held a protest in the main lobby. They were very loud and wanting a refund. They planned a second protest for Friday morning. Security took two men off the floor before the protest started and took them into a room. When they came out they were looking down and never looked up at all. They got on the elevator and we never saw them again. We all believe they were confined to their quarters. Saturday morning the very vocal woman found a letter from the captain in the mailbox. The letter supposedly informed her that he reported her to the Tampa police and FBI.  It said she was going to be arrested when she departed the ship for civil disobedience and inciting a riot. I got that second hand.

Also Saturday morning the Captain informed us that there were two medical emergencies and we were on course to meet a Coast Guard Cutter to take them to a hospital. We could see Tampa when the cutter met us then we turned back out in the Gulf to spend another day at sea.

I think if The excursions were not cancelled I may have enjoyed the cruise. There was just too much time on the ship. Except for the excursion at Belize the cruise was a major disappointment. I did not get a chance to shop because of the amount of time the excursion took and all of the stuff on the ship was made in China not the country it represented.

I know the Captain of the ship was not at fault for the cancellations. It would have been nice to have two days in a port that we were able to stop in like Grand Cayman or Belize instead of just sailing in circles.

Publication Date: 05/12/09