Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by birdabee: NCL takes the free out of Freestyle

birdabee
Member Since 2006

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Spirit Western Caribbean Cruises

NCL takes the free out of Freestyle

Sail Date: April 2009
Embarkation: New Orleans

I was so looking forward to my vacation, but after it started out on the wrong foot, things never fully recovered. First, one of my flip flops got lost when my luggage was transferred to the ship. Okay, my fault for shoving them into the deep pockets on the outside of my bag, but I discovered it while we were still in port, and received no help in trying to locate the missing shoe.

On the plus side, we took pot luck on our balcony cabin, and lucked out by getting one that was 2x larger than normal with a double length balcony to boot! We later found out that our cabin had previously been the video arcade, but was converted back to a room after the refurb. It is 10686 for any of you who sail on the spirit and want a real hotel sized cabin!

The biggest disappointment of the whole cruise was the food. It started off okay, and went downhill from there. The concept of "freestyle dining" has evolved into a menu in the main diningroom that sticks with lower end (IE: cheap) More entrees such as chicked and pork, though they did throw in roast beef one night and a strip steak another night, my traveling companion said they were poor quality. I had fish most nights and again, the main diningroom stuck to cheaper fish like snapper. You could only get better quality meats and fish in the alternative dining venues, and so then you had to pay-no longer free. BTW: on shorter cruises, especially the 3 and 4 days, they serve better food/have better menus b/c they have more 1st time cruises that they are woowing, so they show off a bit more...

The ship was beautiful. I liked the fact that they have fewer bars (needed the room for the alternative restaurants) and it seemed easy to figure out how to get around. I'm usually lost for the first three days, but on this ship I had it all figured out in about 1.5 days. The library was small and inadequate, though I did find a few things to read. Also the internet cafe was often busy b/c they only have about 10 machines, but they do have wireless access if you bring your laptop.

Entertainment varied from really good to a few nights when we walked out. The problem was there was no alernative to the main show unless you sat in a lounge and listened to music. No movies on the big screen anywhere, ever. I think this is why I really missed having a good library.

Crew was great! Friendly, hard working, helpful (except for the shoe incident).

Ports were good. Costa Maya isn;t much other than a shopping trap, but it is a nice beach day at Mahajual. Guatemala waterfalls were great. Belize rivertubing was fun. Curacao hard to gauge due to it being Sunday, but a beautiful day! I loved Bermuda best and must go back when i have more time!

Overall, the trip was fine. Many said a cruise (or any vacation) is what you make of it. I agree, except there are certain things over which we had no control-like the food. I also got annoyed that many activities morphed into a sales pitch, but that is expected, i guess. Less

Read more Norwegian Spirit cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Spirit Review >>

Lots to do. Hard to choose.

Beach day in Mahajual. Avoid expensive shopping!

No shops were open (Sunday). Do not rent a dune buggy from "Bazz Fun Rentals" ours broke down! The island is beautiful, and I hear the beaches are fabulous, though due to our mishap, we didn't make it to the beach :(

Read 503 Curacao Reviews

We actually docked at Royal Navy Dockyard, and decided to take the ferry to St George with the intention of working our way back across the island, but after a walk to Fort St Catherine and a swim in Tabacco Bay, we didn't have enough time and had to take the ferry back to the ship. Lunch in St George was REALLY expensive, but EXCELLENT! We ate at the White Horse.

Read 125 Hamilton Reviews