Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by davidrod: Carnival Conquest with a 9 Month Old

davidrod
Member Since 2003

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

Carnival Conquest with a 9 Month Old

Sail Date: May 2009
Embarkation: Galveston

We live in the West Houston area so the drive to Galveston was a simple 1:30 hour drive. This was the main reason why we chose this cruise. The ability to just drive down and cruise away. Our other choice was a week in a resort in Mexico, but with a 9 month old and all her bags, we decided to instead go with the cruise. I had been in 10 cruises before: 2 with Carnival, 3 with Norwegian, 1 princess and 4 RCCL. After my last experience in one of Carnival's smaller ships, I swore I would never go back on Carnival. After seeing the price of the balconies drop down under $750 p/p, I decided to give them a try another try. It was my wife's first cruise, my baby's first cruise, my mother's 5th and my step father's 3rd.

Embarkation - We drove down to Galveston and I dropped wife, mother and baby at the terminal. A porter took the bags right out of the truck and wheel them away. Drove to EZ Cruise park (closer to the terminal than Lighthouse) and took the shuttle back. We had to wait in More line for about 1 to 1:30 hour which I think it's pretty reasonable considering they have to board 3000 people. AC was working in the terminal so no problems.

The aisle leading to the cabins was pretty small and by the time we got to the cabin we felt quite cramped. Even though we told Carnival we didn't need a crib since we brought our own pack and play, they had one in the room already. We kept the crib mattress but sent the crib back. Cabin was quite small, specially after putting together the pack and play.

We got 2 balconies on the 8th floor, which we were able to connect through the balconies. Had a nice large balcony with 4 chairs and 2 tables.

Service in the cabin was top notch, although I must say both mattress and pillows were pretty hard. Supposedly the mattress have just been changed. Humm... not so sure.... next time i'll bring my own pillow. When I asked for a pillow top to put on top of the mattress, the cabin steward didn't know what I was talking about. I was able to get one in previous cruises, I guess this ship does not offer them.

Cabin Service was pretty good, no complaints there. We took all their stuff out of the refrigerator and fill it in with our own stuff.

In general the food on board was decent, not a lot of selections but good enough to eat. We had the hardest time eating dinner at the buffet on both formal nights (didn't bring formal clothes) and I gotta say the food there leaves a lot to be desired. The Restaurants were pretty good, although I thought there wasn't a lot of options as in previous cruisers.

Our only complaint was the noise in the cabin. I have been the floor right below the buffet in many cruises below and never had a problem. the noise in this cabin was unbelievable. Every night it felt like we were sleeping right below a bowling alley.

We didn't use any of the child care facilities, so we can't comment on those.

It was hard to see any of the shows with a baby, so instead we watched a bit of TV while she napped. The cabin had TNT, CNN, CNN International, CNN En Espanol (3 channels showing the same thing!) All 4 major networks (Out of Denver, so everything was Mountain time) plus 3 movie channels. Movies we saw included Bride Wars, Slumdog Millionaire, Marley & Me. Basically newer stuff that has been recently released on DVD.

Next time we'll probably spend the extra money on getting a suite, as we didn't have a lot of space on the cabin. Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Balcony Verandah 8379

Stay away from this cabin, you DO NOT want to stay here. Not only do you get a lot of noise from the buffet upstairs, but it's also right in front of the station were the cabin steward get their sheets, linnens, ice, etc... Very very noisy.

I have been to Cayman several times before, including one stay of 5 days back in 2000. Perhaps the only negative thing about Cayman is their prices, but heck, you are on vacation. For the first time in a long time, we were the only ship there, which was nice and not crowded at all. We took a cab for $12 per person to the turtle farm. After Ivan in 2004, the far was destroyed and moved to the other side of the street along with a new water park. The facilities are much better. It costs $18 to get in, but our taxi driver had a special card that gave us a discount down to $10 per person. The taxi fare included about 40 minutes waiting time which was plenty to see the turtles. After that were dropped off at 7 mile beach (Royal palms) This is basically a bar. Beach chairs were $6, Umbrellas were $10. Beer is about $5.50 and there is no waiter service on the beach. After that we went back to town for a while, but their prices are just too much. I wasn't ready to pay $8 for hagen daaz, so we went back to the ship (with free ice cream) As always, a great experience in Cayman.

We heard a lot of bad reviews about this port, so we were a bit concerned about what to expect. I had been to Ocho Rios before but not Montego Bay. We wanted to go to the beach, but didn't want to spend $60-$80 per person on going to a resort (Twice that if you book through Carnival)

I did some research and found a beach called Doctors Cave. We took a taxi there for $5 per person. Then it was $5 to get in, $5 for the chair, $5 for the umbrella. It costs us $90 including roundtrip transportation, 4 chairs, 2 umbrellas. There are a couple of bars with waiter service on the beach. Heinekens were $3 and most sandwich/wraps were under $10. Beach was awesome, never got bothered or anything. Next door there is a resort, and if you want, you can rent jetskis, go parasailing, etc. There were some people snorkeling right there, and I saw 3 large catamarans stopping right in front of our beach so the snorkeling must be pretty good right there.

After being in the beach for a few hours, we walked the street and saw some of the stores. Seen one, seen them all. Picked up a couple of souvenirs and took a cab back to the ship.

We never felt in danger or anything like that. Perfectly safe environment, even with a 9 month old.