Ruby Princess Cruise Review by jsactor: Ruby Princess...OK, but could be so much more

jsactor
Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Ruby Princess Transatlantic Cruises

Ruby Princess...OK, but could be so much more

Sail Date: April 2009
Destination: Transatlantic

Let me start by saying that the Ruby Princess is a beautiful ship.  All of the public areas are nice, all seem very clean.  The showrooms seem to be too small as sometimes we could not get into the shows, even though the ship was not full.

They introduced three new production shows on this cruise, and I will say that they were all some of the best that I have seen...Most cruises you have some cast members that totally outshine others...this time they all were wonderful.  The comedians were good to sometimes great, the musicians were good..one weak moment was the hypnotist, but overall I felt the entertainment was outstanding.  The cruise director seems more involved than on some other ships and that was nice, but the rest of his staff seemed somewhat lacking, and when they were friendly, it just came across as totally phony.

Our cabin was nice enough as was our steward, nothing outstanding, but nothing negative.  The bar staff for the most part More was friendly and efficient.

The food was typical cruise food....when you cook for thousands of people, you are not going to get 5 star.  There were some nights better than others, but all in all, it was ok.  We had anytime dining, and the service was very good.  The lunch buffet was not great, as they are now starting this thing with pre-made wrapped sandwiches..reminded me of getting a sandwich at a 7-11.  You still have other choices, just not a direction that I like to see the cruise line go in.  The Burger and Pizza stations were both good.

My biggest complaint...which was shared by hundreds of passengers was the port scheduling.  Now I totally understand that you can't be in every port on the ideal day...BUT we were scheduled in Rome on May 1st, which turns out to be a holiday and the Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel were closed.  No one was told this until you were on the ship, so unless you somehow knew on your own, you were in for major disappointment.  This will be many people's only visit to Rome, and of all things to visit on this itinerary, those were the highlights.  Now I understand that the cruise line did not have anything to do with the closings, but I do feel strongly that all passengers should have been told upfront that the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel would be closed, so that those passengers that were going because of this port could have made an educated decision instead of just being told..too bad, it's closed....Those two things were the reason that many chose this ship and itinerary...as a matter of fact when my partner and I selected this itinerary for our Transatlantic voyage, we chose this one because it included Rome and the fact that I wanted to see the Sistine Chapel.....

All in All, the Ruby Princess does an adequate job.......I felt a bit let down because my expectations were perhaps too high with this being their new ship...

Once again. just one passenger's opinion..... Less

Read more Ruby Princess cruise reviews >>