Become a Cruise Insider
Tips, deals and more in your inbox.

Legend of the Seas Cruise Review by wings12: Legend of The Seas (1/27/08-2/3/08)

Legend of the Seas 5

wings12

Compare Prices on Legend of the Seas Southern Caribbean Cruises

Legend of The Seas (1/27/08-2/3/08)

Sail Date: January 2009
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: Other

This was my real first cruise since being on an ocean liner 20 years ago. It was the first time a cruise left Santo Domingo (Dominican Republic) as a Departure Port. While the Legend is one of the smaller ships, in a week I didn't see everything she had to offer!

The cabin was small. We had an ocean view on deck 6. But it didn't matter. We were only in the room to sleep, shower and dress.

SERVICE: Excellent, not one complaint!

DINNER: Food was terrific as were our waitstaff and table mates. We had an eclectic group from the USA (us) England, Argentina (spoke no English, but she spoke Italian and so do I) And another US couple coming back from Missionary work in Africa. Our waitstaff was energetic and fun.

PORTS OF CALL: Santo Domingo (Departure Port), St Kitts (My fave!) Martinique, Guadeloupe, St. Lucia, Barbados. At several ports we chose to do it on our own. Never felt unsafe or uncertain. Locals were very friendly and More helpful.

BEST EXPERIENCE AT PORT: In St. Lucia we hired a cab driver to show us around. He agreed to $30. He took us to lunch at a pub run by his grandfather and they refused to let us pay. His wife and daughters were there too. We got to see all sorts of areas tourists don't get to go. It was great. We gave him an extra $30 tip at the end. He actually refused to take any more. I got his address and sent him and his family a great goodie basket for Christmas: all sorts of Georgia treats and Barbies for his 3 little girls. We still are in contact with him via email as well.

ENTERTAINMENT: Terrific! Elton John impersonator was really good. Tango extravaganza made me want to learn it myself!

BEST EXPERIENCE ON SHIP: Met a couple from Canada, felt like we'd know them forever. We have continued the friendship. We also still share emails with one couple from dinner and our head waiter.

WORST EXPERIENCE ON SHIP: We were in the hot tub with 2 other couples when the enormous Russian man got in. He shoved the woman across from me over and spread himself out and actually stuck his foot up on my leg. I shoved it off and he splashed water in my face. Then he started yelling at his group on the other side of the pool and was splashing water at all of us. This is just to name a few. A friend of one of the couples in the hot tub with us came over to see what was going on and went to get the cruise director. The Russian was then banned from the pool area for the rest of the cruise. (This was not his first incident we found out later)

WORST MOMENT: We stayed over in Santo Domingo before flying home. Our hotel was on the waterfront. That night while having a drink at the outside bar, the Legend sailed passed on it's next leg. I couldn't stop crying. I was so depressed that I vowed a cruise every year from now on.

Next Cruise: May 4, 2009

Published 05/02/09

Read more Legend of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Legend of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review:

Wandered on our own. Had a wonderful time.

Panoramic tour was awesome!

BEST EXPERIENCE AT PORT: In St. Lucia we hired a private cab driver to show us around. He agreed to $30. He took us to lunch at a pub run by his grandfather and they refused to let us pay. His wife and daughters were there too. We got to see all sorts of areas tourists don't get to go. It was great. We gave him an extra $30 tip at the end. He actually refused to take any more. I got his address and sent him and his family a great goodie basket for Christmas: all sorts of Georgia treats and Barbies for his 3 little girls. We still are in contact with him via email as well.