Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by marksfamilyof4

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by marksfamilyof4
Freedom of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Member Name: marksfamilyof4
Cruise Date: April 2009
Cabin Category: D2
Shore Excursions 5+

Spring Break '09-Something for Everyone

Saturday, April 11 flew into Miami, Florida with my two children ages 6 and 9.  Miami airport was horrible.  I have never seen so many people in one congested space trying to catch the hotel shuttle.  I am glad we were meeting my husband who drove in from a business meeting with our luggage and met us at our hotel.  I can't imagine trying to handle luggage and children in this mob.

Our first night we stayed at the Marriott Courtyard West Doral.  A nice place to stay but you really need a rental car.  No charge for parking and they have an airport shuttle.  We could check into our room as soon as we arrived at 10:00 a.m.  They were very accommodating as I had shipped our easter baskets ahead of time.  They called our room at the time I asked and informed the kids the easter bunny had left something for them.  Nice pool and close to Dolphin Mall which is a great choice- IMAX theatre.  We watched the new Hannah Montana Movie.

April 12, we boarded the greatest ship in the world.  Freedom of the Seas.  We had two cabins 6222 and 6224.  Connecting rooms were not available but the balcony dividers could be locked in the open position and it seemed our rooms were connecting.

Something on the ship for everyone.

Embarkation smooth as very fast.  They have this down to an art.  We found the Windjammer very crowded and difficult to find a table.  Soda cards a must.

First day at sea.  Lots of exploring.  Kids loved all the activities.  Ice skating (thought not open much), flow rider, rock climbing wall.  Kids club was exceptional for my 6 year old.  Many activities all week such as pirate parade, circus, and water fun.

Second day- Labadee- Kids did the water slide $20/day each and the older one did the water activity park S15/hour which she had to do with an adult.  Very tiring.  She did good as a gymnast but other children may struggle as you need to be able to support your body weight.

Third Day- Ocho Rios- Mark Morris Tours.  The best tour all week.  Very accommodating and personal.  He brought along his daughter who was adorable.  He advised us about the locals and what to avoid as they try and take advantage of tourist.  Dunns River and white water rafting with a stop at local restaurant for authentic Jamaican jerk and short shopping trip before arrival at pier.  I highly recommend him.

Fourth Day-Grand Cayman- on our own.  Did snorkeling at Eden Rock, went to Margaritaville. Shopping great port for alcohol and this is where rum cakes are made.  You can get them at the port shops.

Fifth Day- Cozumel- Nachi Com- Excellent choice.  Good food relaxing.  They take your picture when you arrive.  $12/pictures $38/snorkeling with two stops.  Husband did and loved it.

Sixth Day- At Sea.  Lots of shop sales.  Jewelry, tennis shoes, watches.

Food was good hotel quality with the exception of CHops which I would compare to Ruths Chris.  Everyone had a great time.  Only negative is bingo is way to expensive.  The first night I played and it was $40/ for one game. Yes it was electronic and the jackpot was $500.  They really make money on this one. Other games during the week were $55.00.  I feel they should make this more affordable but other than that everything was top notch.

Publication Date: 05/01/09