Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by ooshgong: Great Family and Adult Fun on the Carnival Freedom

ooshgong
Member Since 2009
1 Post

Family & Children 4.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean Cruises

Great Family and Adult Fun on the Carnival Freedom

Sail Date: April 2009

What can I say? I have been reading many reviews on this site, and I am glad that I did. I really do not understand most if not all of the negative comments left on cruise critic, but that is what opinions are for. This is my third cruise on Carnival, and the experience has gotten better and better. The night before the cruise we stayed at the Courtyard Marriott Dania Beach which provides organized shuttle service from the hotel to the Port. The hotel handles this process really well!

We arrived at the Port at around 11:15 and were promptly put in the line to get on the ship. The only negative about this was the standing in line for around 45 minutes because there were some computer problems and this slowed the embarkation process. We were traveling with our 7 and 5 year old and they handled it really well, the anticipation getting onto the ship was helping very much.

We ended up on the ship around 12 and of course were directed to the Lido deck for lunch. We found More the food on the Lido deck during the cruise to be good except for the ever present very long lines around lunch and breakfast times. I would suggest the dining rooms for some of your breakfasts and lunches. The service is very quick and the choices are really great.

Entertainment Highlights- If you are a cigar smoker, latin music lover, or just want to really relax, I highly recommend the habana bar. There is a band that plays latin music that plays in this bar and also on the lido deck a couple of times that is absolutely amazing and highly entertaining.

Supper Club- We were cruising with three other families and a total of nine kids between the ages of 3 and 11, so let me tell you what a pleasure it was dining in the supper club two of the nights. We fed the kids early, put them in camp which they really enjoyed, and had an adults only amazing dining experience. Forget about the $30pp up charge to dine in the supper club. The service and food is on par with a 5 star restaurant, and rest assured you will leave there feeling satisfied and wanting to go back again.

Disembarkation- A complete breeze as we were assigned tag number 11 and when our zone was called at around 9am, we waited a few minutes, walked off the ship and were through customs and in a cab by 9:30.

There is so much more to write, but all in all I would highly recommend Carnival Cruiselines and especially the Carnival Freedom. Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Balcony Lido 9273

9273- Greatest spot for a cabin! On Lido deck, mid ship right in front of elevators. We had a 100 foot walk to the pool and I just can not speak any more highly of this cabin location!

I feel the amount of excursions offered are really limited in Panama. Four of us took a taxi to the Gatun Locks of the Panama Canal, and were really glad that we did. To see the Panama canal up close and to see ships actually going through is an amazing experience. You have to see the canal if you go to Panama! Safety is a concern in Panama, and Carnival advises against leaving the fenced in shopping area if you plan on doing anything except for a Carnival Excursion. There are many many drivers offering there services.(Some more pushy then others) We picked on driver, and for 60 dollars round trip total, he gave us what amounted to a guided tour of the Gatun Locks at the Panama Canal, and showed us an old US military base that has since been disbanded. Just be careful, and you will be fine!

Our Second port was Costa Rica, not Costa Maya but I can not find the drop down. We arranged for a private tour for all 17 of us with a guide named Danilo Hall. I do not have his phone number or email handy, but you can google his name and also search these boards for some great reviews. We really had a great time with him. We had an air conditioned bus to ourselves with a separate bus driver which allowed Danilo to speak with us and answer our questions the entire time.We first proceeded to take a boat ride in a river, seeing everything from monkeys, sloths, lizards, and exotic birds along the way. We then proceeded to a banana plantation where Danilo showed us how the process works and was very informative. We even stopped at a fresh fruit stand, where Danilo bought us chilled coconuts and many different fresh fruits to bring to our next destination, Tortuguero national park, where we enjoyed the beautiful beach, and ate indigenous lobsters and drank local beer until we were thoroughly satisfied. Danilo stocked a cooler on the bus with cold drinks and we really had a great time with him. His cost was $75 for adults and $40 for kids. Definitely cheaper than throught the ship, and with the personalized service he gave us, I would highly recommend Danilo.

So many tours to choose from, and even if you want to go off on your own, as we did, there are great beaches and shopping to choose from.

Read 3120 Cozumel Reviews