Costa Atlantica Cruise Review by colbuck

Member Name: colbuck
Cruise Date: April 2009
Embarkation: Other
Cabin Category: I
See More About: Costa Atlantica Cruise Reviews | Eastern Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Costa Cruise Deals
        Under 3 4.0
        3-6 5.0

Ship Facts: Costa Atlantica Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Costa Atlantica Deck Plans
Great ports, poor service
Costa Atlantica's Eastern Caribbean cruise itinerary is just perfect: no days at sea, in every port you have plenty of time to visit the island or just lay on a wonderful beach as we did. However the ship seems to experience a few problems with its staff! Not having cruised for almost 3 years, we thought that we might have "idealized" our conception of how a cruise line can provide a perfect service to passengers. But, speaking with other guests, we found out that everyone was feeling just the way we felt: cabin attendants seemed to be too busy all the time, so they would come into your cabin several times a day, every time with a different task (collecting used towels, placing new towels, making up the bed, delivering the daily magazines etc...). Instead of doing several things at one time, it seemed like they had no time to plan their job and worked on a last-in first-out procedure, which is quite annoying (especially if your attendant knocks on your door at 10.00 pm while you are asleep to deliver new beach towels!!!). Our waiter at the Tiziano restaurant was also in such a mood, forgetting orders or delivering two dishes back to back, so that the second one would get cold soon! We complained with the second maitre and the waiter changed his attitude but we felt quite embarrassed about it. Food quality was also a bit disappointing: we found out the buffet at the Botticelli restaurant to be much better than the menu a la carte in the Tiziano one. Beware, though: I would not be honest if I said that I did not like the food! There is so much choice that you surely find something you like. Please also note that I am a vegetarian and it was not such a big deal to find food allowed for myself. There is also soy milk at breakfast, plenty of fresh fruit throughout the day and a salad bar. Other fellow passengers wrote that one of the shortcomes of Costa is that the ship is mainly addressed to Italian clients. Well, I am Italian and I felt like a minority aboard! It was packed with Caribbean people, mostly French-speaking. Also at the kids'club French was spoken more often than Italian! All in all I recommend this cruise to anyone who is very interested in visiting new places rather than going on a cruise to relax and be spoilt onboard.

Publication Date: 04/24/09