“What a difference a year (& different ship) makes”
Cruise review of Holland America Eurodam

frankcoll Eurodam 5 What a difference a year (& different ship) makes
frankcoll
Member Since 2008
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
I should start by saying that we were on Noordam a year ago and found the experience so un-HAL like that I was nervous about this cruise, especially after reading preliminary reviews about the lack of service etc. Our experience last year was so unlike any other HAL experience we were shocked. Crew was at times rude, mostly unhelpful and this was reflected in the service. I am happy to say Eurodam has restored my faith in HAL. It was everything we had experienced before and more. There was plenty of staff, and they couldn't have been more welcoming.

We opted for the April 11 as we were trying to coordinate the kids schedules and this is when everyone was off. That said, we were expecting many children on board and there were.

We arrived at the pier around 1:00 and after checking in were on board in less than 10 minutes. Smooth and efficient. Rooms were ready by 1:30. Cabins were always clean & cabin stewards were friendly & efficient.

My Sister and husband renewed their vows and the affair was very nice. If I could change one thing it would be the location. It was in a very dark bar. Here we are on a beautiful ship on the ocean and we were in a dark, dark lounge. Anyway it was lovely none the less.

For those of you travelling with kids, the Lido Cabanas are great. It was our central meeting place for the week and it worked out wonderfully. Speaking of cabanas, we had also rented the pink and the eggshell cabanas on HMC. The are centrally located, not far from food pavilion and near restrooms which was convenient. Half Moon Cay is always one of our favorite stops.

Only one minor complaint was service in dining room was verrrry slow. I'm sure the wait staff is working as hard as they can, but we were one of last tables to leave each night. We never made the 10:00 shows on time. Other than that everything on this cruise was wonderful. Only thing that could have made it better was another week.

Eurodam Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review: Neptune Suite with Verandah

SA7045
This time around, we heard no sound from the cabins on either side of us. There was also very little in the way of creeking or those strange sounds that you have trouble identifying....

Port
The cruise center at Grand Turk is great if you just want to RELAX. That was the goal for us and so that is how I rated it. For those that like the beach or if you prefer the pool they have both. I can't comment on any excursions as we didn't take any.
Read 1,368 Grand Turk Reviews
Port
We took a tour of El Yunque while in Puerto Rico. It was very pretty. We also had dinner at a lovely restaurant in town. It was recommended by the concierge in the Neptune and it was very nice. It's a long day in PR so you don't feel rushed in taking an excursion and I like that. The pier area is close to area shops so it's a nice place to just walk around also.
Read 2,278 San Juan Reviews
Port
We have been to St. Thomas on many cruises, I almost wish they would remove it from HAL itineraries. In my opinion, unless you are shopping or headed to Megan's Bay there isn't anything else worthwile. Again, that is if you have been there already. We opted to take an excursion to snorkel on Trunk Bay Beach on St. John. It was a very pretty beach, but have seen better snorkeling. The trip was well organized but the time always goes so quickly.
Read 3,415 St. Thomas Reviews
Published 04/23/09
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Eurodam Review
Eurodam Cruises to the Eastern Caribbean
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?