Eurodam Cruise Review by cabive: Very Disappointed in Eurodam and HAL, I am returning to RCCL

cabive
Member Since 2006

Compare Prices on Eurodam Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Very Disappointed in Eurodam and HAL, I am returning to RCCL

Sail Date: April 2009

I am a seasoned cruiser and I realize that people looking at the cruise critic may range from the novice to the more experienced, so to be fair I am going to be brutally honest and state it frankly, In one sentence, I was not impressed by the Eurodam in fact it was quite disappointing. If you read on you will see the ship has so many deficits that it is difficult for one to recommend this ship if you are looking for a cruise which will supply a relaxing vacation

The Cabins-Verandah Superior Ocean

The cabins are adequate if you keep the bed as a Queen, however if you need to split the beds as we did into two separate twin beds the rooms becomes extremely tight to maneuver around. For those who are sensitive to light as I am it is important to note that the curtains in the room are so thin they are almost sheer therefore the sunlight starts coming through very early in the morning.

Caveat Emptor: Please be aware if you book a verandah room on More the 5th deck your view is obstructed, although HAL does not consider these obstructed view, they are, the lifeboats are on Deck 4 below and the lifeboats block a portion of the view when you looking out the sliding glass doors.. When you sit out on the verandah the lifeboats block about 2/3 of the view through the glass railing. .

They do not have enough Handicap rooms on this ship for a cruise line that caters to an older population. We asked for a Handicap room as I was travelling with someone who was disabled, we were not given one. When we called HAL we were told we should have spent another $3000 and booked a suite which was handicap accessible. This type of insensitivity to people with disabilities became a pattern we saw often on the ship. When we spoke with the Front desk they told us every cruise there are more requests for Handicap rooms from people with disabilities then they have rooms for on each cruise. While it is a nice touch they have tubs, in most of the cabins, they are not useful to an older person or one with a disability who really needs a shower. The person I was travelling with could not climb into a tub and was told too bad by the heartless front desk, however she was finally accommodated by the spa Staff who allowed her to shower there.

The Spa is fabulous, although they are very pushy with selling their products. The spa facilities are the best I have seen on the seas, they have a hydro-pool in the Spa which is wonderful and a relaxation room with heated stone chaises.

The Front Desk

The Front desk staff were rude and offered no solutions to any problems , passengers were constantly being directed to contact Seattle Corporate when you get home. If you had a problem they didn't want to deal with you. This happened several times to other passengers, when you demanded to speak with a manager, they were all conveniently "unavailable". When you finally got to speak to a manager it was always at their convenience not yours, never mind the fact your on vacation. The managers were rude uncaring and quite frankly useless. When we were told once again to contact Corporate when we got home, we asked for the corporate office phone number, the managers tried to stall and refused to give it to us.

The Pool

There are 2 pools onboard, one with a retractable glass roof located center ship, which is denoted as the children's pool. You can purchase for an additional fee cabana's which surround the outskirts of the pool, but you have to want to be around children to use these cabanas. The other pool was for adults only and is located at the rear of the ship, it is completely uncovered with no where to lie in the shade. The adult pool is only good for those who want to bake in the Sun. I am fair and was looking for a shady place by the adult pool to lie on a chaise; I quickly discovered that was not going to happen on this ship. A child got sick in the children's pool the first day at sea, and the children's pool had to be closed for cleaning, however unlike a previous a reviewer of this cruise who stated the children were not allowed in the adult pool, I did see children swimming in the adult pool and no one seemed to stop them. In fact many adults after seeing this display never went into the adult pool for the entire cruise because this one incident disgusted them so much. Again this goes to the poor design of the ship they really should have two pools for children in case there is an incident such as this. Several times I saw young children in the Jacuzzi attached to the adult pool for some reason people didn't think that the adults only pool rule applied to the Jacuzzis.

In fact many of my fellow cruisers as well as I felt the pools should have been reversed the adults with the shade and the children at the rear of the ship. The reasoning for this is because directly above the adult pool is the sports Deck. Kids were constantly running around by the adult pool and deck 10 where the sports deck is located , screaming, yelling and horsing around. In other words there was no place by the adult pool to relax, in the quiet shade and read a book.

On other cruise lines they keep the children contained to one area of the ship and you don't see or hear them. On the Eurodam they were all over the place running muck with apparently nothing to do. There didn't seem to be enough programs for them to partake in and the few locations where they could play were intertwined with adult only areas which made it impossible for peace and quiet.

Parents on the ship crossed the gangway when they boarded in Fort Lauderdale and went off duty, they let their children run all over not only the ship, but also into ports, I was appalled when I saw young children getting off the ship at ports unescorted without an adult in sight.

The Food

The food was decent and there was a lot of variety. There is afternoon tea and a midnight snack daily, which is not offered often on other cruise lines anymore. The pizza on the Lido deck is nothing special.

At first we did the late sitting with an assigned table which was horrible, we were confined to a table of ten and the tables were so tightly packed you couldn't move. We switched to" as you wish Dining", which turned out to be so much better, however in the dining Room there were children whose behavior was so rude it was a disgrace, at one point I saw a girl doing cartwheels in the dining room.

The Ports

The PA announcements were ridiculous, for example they made an announcement at 7 am when we arrived in St. Thomas to announce our arrival. I didn't need to wake up that early when I am on vacation to hear we had arrived at port, when the ship stops moving I'll assume we have arrived at our destination.

Grand Turk was nice there is a beach as soon as you get off the ship and a pool.

San Juan, there was a taxi strike so most passengers got off the ship and back on quickly.

St. Thomas, the ship docked at a very small dock, with a few stores, which I was not used to as I have always docked in a much larger dock in Charlotte Amalie which has a almost a hundred stores.

Half Moon Cay was disappointing; it can't hold a candle to RCCL's island of Coco Cay. The people that rave about Half Moon Cay haven't seen Coco Cay.

Miscellaneous items:.

The entertainment was nothing to write home about, however I am from NY and have Broadway in my backyard, so I am a little jaded.

They have computer classes on board, taught by a tech guru Anthony who is excellent, and knows his stuff.

The shops onboard are like one big room with different sections, I don't know how they even justify calling it a store.

The ship is not being properly maintained, it looks much older than a ship that is less than a year old, it appears dirty, paint is chipping off the furniture, and rugs have stains on them

The last night the ship was rocking so much that a large amount of people were getting sea sick. I think the Captain didn't want to use the stabilizers because their use burns more fuel. From what I have seen on other HAL ship reviews , it seems to be a practice of HAL not to use the stabilizers because of fuel consumption.

The Indonesian and Philippine staff tried so hard to please the passengers, it is a shame that Front desk service was so horrible and the ships design was so poor and lackluster that these deficits overshadow the staff's efforts. Less

Read more Eurodam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Eurodam Review >>

Cabin review: Eurodam Deluxe Verandah Oceanview Verandah 5097

The Cabins-Verandah Superior Ocean The cabins are inadequate if you need to split the beds into twins because it becomes extremely tight to maneuver around. The curtains in the room are so thin they are almost sheer therefore the sunlight comes through very early in the morning. Verandah rooms on the 5th deck views are obstructed, although HAL does not consider these obstructed view, they are, the lifeboats are on Deck 4 below and the lifeboats block a portion of the view when you looking out the sliding glass doors.. When you sit out on the verandah the lifeboats block about 2/3 of the view through the glass railing. . They do not have enough Handicap rooms on this ship for a cruise line that caters to an older population. When we spoke with the Front desk they told us every cruise there are more requests for Handicap rooms from people with disabilities then they have rooms for on each cruise. While it is a nice touch they have tubs, in most of the cabins, they are not useful to an older person or one with a disability who really needs a shower.