Carnival Conquest Cruise Review by Galbraith: A Little Bit of Heaven for a Family of 4

Galbraith
Member Since 2009

Family & Children 5.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Conquest Western Caribbean Cruises

A Little Bit of Heaven for a Family of 4

Sail Date: April 2009
Embarkation: Galveston

I packed for an army and brought an empty suitcase for just souvenirs, which I'm glad I did. Stayed at the Holiday Inn Resort (a mistake) so we could park our car there for free and their shuttle took us to the pier around 12 so as to let the line die a little which I'm very glad we did. Got that suggestion from a fellow cruiser. Very fast check in. Went through the picture taking and headed to the buffet til our room was to be ready around 1:30. Buffets are all pretty much alike. Burgers,chicken fingers and hot dogs. Nothing to write home about so I won't. I didn't buy a soda card so we packed 4-6 pk bottles and brought onboard, a godsend and took these with us to lunch. All they offer for free drinks are terrible tea,unsweetened lemonade and water. We drank ALOT of water on this cruise btw.

Got to our room around 1:30 and it had the couch made out into a bed and a pullman made out (bed that drops from the ceiling)that my 2 8 yr olds slept in and they loved it. Our bed More was 2 twins pulled together into a King. HATED our bed. My husband and I were miserable on this bed to the point of taking aspirin every morning. It was like an RV mattress just not as good. The room was wonderful and for the usage of space. We absolutely LOVED, LOVED, LOVED the balcony. Don't take a cruise without one. We watched the tiny flying fish and dolphins from time to time and the water turning different colors depending on what port we're in. Pali was the best steward calling us by name every day to make it more personable. He did charge us for a drink from the stocked frig though we had our own and that aggravated me for the tune of $6.71. His assistant and him kept the room spotless and stocked with towels,beach towels and ice. I never had to ask for anything. The cruise director made a comment that he got up in the middle of the night to use the bathroom and when he got back his bed was made up. It's almost just like that. Kuddo's to the room stewards! Dining was ok, again ,nothing to write about. I bought an anniversary cake the second day and they served it,told us we could have it again since it was barely ate and then the next night when we requested it, somehow it "had an accident". Didn't even offer to replace it. The food wasn't barely salted or had any taste. Bland mostly. Not even the desserts got me going even after I heard about the 'chocolate melting cake'. It was also just 'ok'. I need more taste I guess. I think I actually lost weight on this cruise. Go figure.

Disembarking was a nightmare as Galveston experienced some really bad weather and we didn't dock til around 10;15 when most people are standing in line to get ON the ship. We physically didn't get to get off til 12:20. Now the nightmare really begins as after we went through customs, effortless really, we called Holiday Inn Resort for our shuttle back and this was at 12:45 after we waited a bit. They said that traffic was heavy and it would be there and to look for a Hilton or San Louis Shuttle, ONE HOUR LATER in the sun with 2 small children and several other passengers around us LOOKING for the same shuttle we asked a kind La Quinta man if he'd consider taking us to our hotel as ours never showed up. He called and had just enough room for us and the couple we had talked to for a while. 2 other families had to wait, we don't know for how long or what happened to them. We still didn't get home till after 9pm that night, a 5 hr drive. Less

Read more Carnival Conquest cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Conquest Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Conquest Balcony Upper 6223

Great balcony,Nice size room, Liked the pullman that dropped from the ceiling, very comfortable for the kids. King size bed was like an RV mattress,just not as good.

Chankanaab was going to be on the top of our list but several taxi drivers said it was too deep for the kids so Paradise Beach was suggested AKA Coral Rocks that can cut your feet and knees. Muddy looking. Food that was brought to us under our umbrellas was great. NO complaints there. Pay $10 each and play with all the beach toys you want. I took the kids kayaking and they had water trampolines and 'THE Iceberg" to climb. Bought some nice souvenirs at the shops in town. It looked very nice at the pier area but it smelled like they had severe sewer problems and some vendors insisted on cash rather than credit cards. I hated seeing someone in line ahead of me using one and not letting me.
Read 3142 Cozumel Reviews

Fantastic. Ok, that about sums up our trip to Stingray City with Rum Point Beach. Beautiful dark blue, aqua and green water. 30 min trip to Stingray City into waist deep rippling white sand with huge strange sting rays. I wasn't used to the salty water that felt like acid in my eyes. My husband and children loved the snorkeling and the harmless baby jellyfish. I can't snorkel. Body won't let me. Enough said. Our trip wasn't long enough so we'll just have to come back and stay a week :). Rum Point Beach was nice and the food and service was wonderful. My son loved catching the baby jellyfish out in the bay. They have showers/bathrooms/giftshops and anything else you might need. Loved the whole trip.

We booked with Carolyn Barrett with Barrett Adventures and 'Loxley',loved his name, very regal, was our tour guide to YS Falls w/tubing. There was another family of 5 that went also in our bus. Loxley was wonderful and called me Lady Princess and my daughter little Princess. I haven't been called such sweet names since I was dating! He was very professional and we found him inside the terminal and we were lucky to not have to experience the vendors that I've read so much about. Our trip to YS Falls was on an extremely winding road. I'm talking extreme here. I started getting sick in the middle of the trip and joked to my daughter sitting next to me that I may have to borrow her hat. I leaned forward, tried breathing exercises to no avail. I said aloud, "You'd better stop or there's going to be an accident." Well, I was also about to pass out from motion sickness too. I stumbled into the front seat next to Loxley when I heard my daughter just threw up in her cap. She beat me to it. My dear sweet hubby had to wash out the cap on the side of the road and then we continued on our trip with no further incidents. YS Falls was nice and everyone was friendly. The toilets bubbled up to the top and were strange. The jerk chicken at YS Falls was okay also. Not spicy like I imagined. We came back 'down' the mountain with no motion sickness and our disembarkation was uneventful.