Carnival Victory Cruise Review by Mrs.C05: Itinerary was Victory for us!

Mrs.C05
Member Since 2009
2,030 Posts

Compare Prices on Carnival Victory Southern Caribbean Cruises

Itinerary was Victory for us!

Sail Date: February 2009
Destination: Southern Caribbean
Embarkation: San Juan

I'll start from the very beginning. Our flight left Orlando on time at around 10:45am and the was a very smooth flight. We were given a drink and pretzels and they came back around offering seconds, which we took. It was a 2.5 hour flight there. When we arrived at the San Juan airport, we just followed the signs down to baggage, to collect our luggage. There were Carnival porters there, giving us stubs to get on the bus when it arrived, since we pre-paid for transfers. It didn't take long for a bus to arrive, which we boarded, for a 10 minute ride to the port terminal.

The port terminal was a breeze to get through, wasn't too busy for 2:45pm. We checked in with the terminal, giving them our passports, credit card and fun pass and we were on our way to find our room. Our room was on the Panorama deck, one floor above the Lido deck and one below the Spa deck, room # 1054. Our room steward quickly found us to introduce himself and make sure everything was at hand we needed. We More hardly saw him the rest of the trip, but he somehow made sure everything was clean and tidy for us.

The ship had a very unique layout. I really liked the "theater" style deck for the movies. In the center was a huge twisty slide, 2 pools and 2 jacuzzi's. I don't have any complaints about it. The food selection wasn't bad. You had 2 hot bars outside by the pools on the Lido deck. Then inside was the buffet, with seating upstairs and downstairs. I hardly saw anyone go upstairs. Then the pizza bar was out back on the other side of the hot dog/hamburger bar, with ice cream and drink bar across from them. The casino was very cold, so take a jacket in there. The dining room was also cold, but not too bad. Our waiter, Elmer, was an absolute trip!!!! He was very humorous and entertaining!!!

We were invited to a "Past Guest" Reception, which we decided to go check out before dinner. It was a total blast!!! They had FREE ALCOHOLIC drinks and yummy appetizers! I couldn't believe it!!!! Then they played a movie clip of the history of Carnival, which was interesting to learn. Mardi Gras was the first ship to set sail in 1975 and there was a lady there 2 rows in front of us that had been on 15 cruises, her first one in 1975 aboard the Mardi Gras. Very cool!

As for the complaints about the local Puerto Ricans.....we never had any problems or complaints about them. They all kept to themselves. There were some kids running around, but they were running to the top to catch the slide again.

Flight home was a little on the crazy side. From the time we waited for us to be called to get off, to the time we got through customs, agriculture check point, checking in at our airline, and through security, it took us 4 hours. That was a little on the INSANE side, but I suppose it could've been worse when you have about 8k people there at once. The security line went a lot faster than the airline check-in which was nice. Less

Read more Carnival Victory cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Victory Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Victory Balcony Panorama 1054

Perfect room, one floor above the Lido Deck, near the pool deck doors = easy access, room steward was great!

Chill days for us. We just got off and shopped around. Lots of locals were there asking you left and right for taxi rides or tour guides....we didn't stay on the island long before getting back on the ship. I bought a shirt there and was tempted to get coffee but didn't.
Read 802 Antigua Reviews

Since we had docked pretty far away, they had buses picking us up to us drop off at the terminal where all the duty free shopping were. You could've walked but it was a little far. We had our Malibu excursion at 12 to do so to kill the time we drank at the bar there called Coconuts. They made very good drinks and the weather was beautiful! Before we knew it, we were being taken to our excursion. Malibu Rum Distillery and Beach was very interesting. They tell you the tour is optional and they only do in timed-runs. We had to wait about 45 minutes for the next "run" so we just chilled on the beach, but not for long when a passing shower came through. It did this 3 times so we didn't get much laying out. The tour was knowledgeable; learning how Malibu Rum is made I have to say is a little disappointing to me as I'm a Malibu Rum gal all the way! The bus picking us up was a little late, some of us were getting worried but we got back to the ship in time.
Read 703 Barbados Reviews

We didn't do much except for walking around and shopping. We found a bar down at the end, near a hotel to have drinks at before getting back on the ship. A lot of taxi drivers and tour guys were trying to get you to buy a ride.....no thanks. The landscaping was the same really, just very colorful buildings.
Read 491 Dominica Reviews

St. Kitts was a very pretty island. One funny thing I saw here were locals with monkeys. Tourist were getting photos taken with them for a fee. I thought they were cute, but I didn't want to hold one. My husband found a native/local carving that he liked and I found a necklace at Little Switzerland.

This by far is my favorite stop!!!! It's so beautiful there!!!! We choose the Kayaking on Pigeon Island so we ate some breakfast before heading down to meet the group. Upon getting down to meet the group, we had to fill out some forms. Then we were taken to a bus and rode about 20 minutes to Pigeon Island. It is right next to one of the three Sandal's Resorts there which was cool to see. We were dropped off right there on the beach, next to the kayaks, told to "strip" and get sunscreen on to prepare for kayaking. We were given some instructions, lifejackets and then we were off into the beautiful blue and green water of St. Lucia. First we all went to the left, towards the jetty's, paddled around those and then all the way down to Pigeon Island. Once we got to Pigeon Island, we parked the kayaks and lifejackets, got some refreshments they had ready for us and if we wanted we could change, since they had our bags with them in the truck. Some did change, others just rinsed off from the sand.

One of the guys there, Chris, was going to be our guide going up to the ruins for whomever wanted to go. My husband and I went and learned a lot about the island. It was very, very cool!!!!!! It was also windy and steep but we made it all the way to the top, for a magnificent view, 360* view. A lot of us were taking pictures from up top, then Chris pulled out some homemade rum punch. He'd only allow the guys to have it, not sure why, but I took a sip of my husbands, and let him have it all, too strong and definitely homemade (nutmeg and cinnamon in it?). We climbed back down so that others could get back to their boat (there were others from Royal Caribbean), but we just hung around the island until the bus came to get us. On the way back to the ship, he was pointing out any and everything he could think of, teaching us of the island and culture.

It is absolutely beautiful there! We've been there before for our honeymoon and knew it would great to see again. We decided to do the Castaway Snorkel at Shipwreck Cove which was A LOT of fun!! We'd went on the St. John's Trunk Bay on our honeymoon but wanted to try something different (which was a breathtaking view and experience, VERY beautiful!). Our snorkel guide Matty was very informative on everything he saw. We snorkeled for about 45 minutes before headed back to the boat for unlimited rum punch. That was some fabulous punch. Then we got back to the ship about 3:30, which didn't leave until 5 I believe.
Read 2325 St. Thomas Reviews