Voyager of the Seas Cruise Review by Oldmancruiser: Well done again, RCCL

Compare Prices on Voyager of the Seas Western Caribbean Cruises

Well done again, RCCL

Sail Date: April 2009
Embarkation: Galveston

This was our 7th cruise, 6 on RCCL and one on Celebrity. We found Celebrity no improvement on RCCL, by the way.

My wife and I were again delighted with RCCL and had zero problems or unhappiness on the Voyager of Seas.

We found the main dining room food to be excellent with adequate entree choices. We could tell the menu was somewhat scaled back from previous RCCL cruises, but not to a fault. Our waiter, Hassine from Tunis and Iris, the assistant waiter were absolutely 1st class! Other reviewers gripped about the Windjammer food, but we could not find fault. Speaking of other reviews, we feel the positive reviews on Johnny Rockets were overstated. We expected freshly cut and breaded onion rings only to find run of the mill frozen rings and same with the boring french fries. The hamburgers were tasty, but not tasty enough to return there. The milk shake I had was wonderful.

Oh, I just remembered one negative: the coffee! Mygawd was it awful! Far, far too More strong, for a guy who loves strong coffee. Bitter tasting and mostly nasty. Complaints were answered with a fresh serving, but the next night....same nasty stuff.

The head waiter's name escapes me, but he always stopped by to check on our service and food quality. Plus he would practice his dry sense of humor and jokes nightly to liven things up for us.

Our cabin steward, Elmer from Costa Rica was another gem. Unobtrusive with the ability to straighten up the cabin in our absence. Always cheerful.

We found 99% of the RCCL crew to be friendly, smiling, cheerful and helpful. Only one sourpuss: One of the kid program ladies snarled abit in public. Apparently she had her gut full of yelling, screaming kids.

Only downside was the wait of elevator service. Perhaps the Achilles' heel of a ship for over 3000 guests. Be prepared to wait longer than you would like.

Thanks for another excellent cruise, RCCL Less

Read more Voyager of the Seas cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Voyager of the Seas Review >>

Cabin review: Voyager of the Seas

Ours was the most quiet cabin we have had during 7 cruises. Ocean view on deck 2. The bedside table needed repair and the hinge on the bathroom medicine cabinet was loose. One BIG beef is the weight and great effort required to open the steel entry door to our cabin. It took almost all the stength my wife could muster to open it.

Our 3rd trip there and the last. Most of the stores on the beach front apparently are feeling the economic situation. This has always been a real tourist trap, but in April '09 it was awful. Shills in front of the stores, trying to drag you inside. IF you make the mistake of going inside, you nearly have to fight your way out. If you dislike being followed by a hawkish employee....2 feet from you all the time, don't go to the shops. One genius there tried to sell us a fake ladies Rolex watch for $850 USD. Not pesos, but USD. "Too high Senor? how about $500!

Read 3085 Cozumel Reviews

Always a nice place for our 3rd trip. Polite natives. Crowded of course, but no store shills. Once inside the shops, you may browse unmolested. We stopped in one store that allowed me to use their internet for free while my wife shopped. Again we took a boat to Stingray City: Moby Dick Service. Good outfit and a fun day in beautiful water.

I was pleasantly surprised when I visited Montego Bay. I checked the Cruise Critic reviews before sailing and was turned off by them. I wanted to stay onboard, but my wife convinced me to go ashore. Just outside the terminal, we were approached by a well mannered, soft spoken, professional type taxi driver. After dancing with each other about a tour price, he took us around the small town and environs, providing an interesting commentary. We felt comfortable the entire trip and got our money's worth. As others have warned, set a price before you get in the cab and make sure the car has a red license plate. Those are the pros, regulated taxi men. The cabs will probably have JUTA logos on them. Incidentally, there are some very nice shops in the terminal which have some fairly decent prices on booze, also wooden artworks by locals.