Norwegian Sky Cruise Review by vcharmedv: Spring Break in Sky

Compare Prices on Norwegian Sky Bahamas Cruises

Spring Break in Sky

Sail Date: April 2009
Destination: Bahamas

As an experienced cruiser, I've been on a cruise with Royal Caribbean and Carnival. I tried Norwegian for the price. The ship itself is very nice, decorated with a Hawaiian theme...which sets the mood for a tropical place. The ship is easy to navigate and the crew is helpful if you have any questions. The stateroom people were friendly and introduced themselves and were always greeting us.

My friends and I did not dine in any of the restaurants you have to pay for..as college students we are on a budget..but reading here on the boards we tried the Palace for the first dinner night and found it to be overcrowded and it took forever to be served. The following nights we dined at Crossings and found it to be awesome, the Hostess always gave us the best tables with beautiful views of the sunset and moon rise. The food was good, not exceptionally out of this world but good with plenty of choices. The crew people were also kind enough to give my friend a complimentary cake and More sang her happy birthday after I asked the Hostess. Lunch at Garden Cafe is crowded with Lines but if you head towards the back of the Cafe there are less people. The food is buffet but good. For Breakfast we would get yummy omelets and waffles from Il Adagio without lines..which was good and then we would head to the Cafe for the fruits and hash browns.

My friends and I did Karaoke, 2 songs...and then we left but it was fun. The comedy shows were funny and entertaining, the shows were good, although one singer was horrible and butchered some songs. Didn't spend much time in the Casino, but it looked nice, kind of small but nice. As we are in our early to mid 20's we didn't find a place were all of us could hang out with people our age. The crowd was mostly families and there were many teenagers on board...at the Dazzle's Night Club there were suppose to be an 18 n + crowd but they weren't strict about it and so it was kind of annoying to have the youngsters around. The music was good, props to the DJ! The cruise director was very fun and the assistant cruise director was too! The ship has the usual games the couples show, battle of the sexes, quest...all in good fun and a way to pass time.

In conclusion, free-style cruising was beneficial in the dinning experience because we could dine and fit it in our schedule of what we wanted to do. The crowd wasn't what we hoped to be....but that could be due to the time frame we went. The only minor details I saw were a bother were the overflow of children in the Jacuzzi. I did not appreciate trying to find a spot and then get squished in a the hot tub with stranger's kids.

Drinks and cocktails were yummy and there was 2-for-1 specials. All in all we had a great time, would we cruise again in NCL? Perhaps...until then....enjoy your cruise, and make the best of it, it's your vacation after all! Less

Read more Norwegian Sky cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Norwegian Sky Review >>

Unfortunately, we were not able to dock in Freeport because there was very windy weather and the water was choppy. This prevented the ship into anchoring safely in Freeport and we were subject to a "fun day" at sea. Although my party and I were all disappointed that we missed out in Freeport the crew did the best they could in keeping us entertained. They hosted games, maybe not enough to contain the children that were hogging the jacuzzi, but they played music and we enjoyed the pool. In the end, we were reimbursed for the taxes that we had paid for Freeport, which turned out to be $11.00..basically two free drinks.

Read 781 Freeport Reviews

Because we didn't dock in freeport after spending a "fun day" at sea, we were forced to travel to Nassau early because someone on our ship got sick. In the end, we docked at night in Nassau and were allowed to leave the ship. We were told by the Cruise Director that most people would be at Senor Frogs so my girlfriends and I left the ship to head over that way, mind you..at night...travel with a group it isn't dangerous but there are some sketchy looking people hanging out by the dock. When we went to Senor Frogs we saw a huge line and saw that you had to pay...so we decided to skip out. On our way we had received free entry passes to Bambu, a club on the second floor with an open balcony view to the port, right across from it...and it was much better. The music was great, the crowd was young but not annoying and the employees friendly. After spending a night out in town we headed back to the ship which the gangway was opened all night for those who returned very late. The next morning we woke early and headed out again, great time for pictures, after going in through what i assume is the official entrance to Nassau, there were excursion people everywhere holding signs for people who had booked. My friends and I hadn't booked anything and figured we would just find a beach and hang out. We stopped by a scooter booth after the lady in charge shot a us some great prices. In the end the four of us rented two scooters. It cost us 90 in total, with a 20 bucks deposit we were going to get back at the end..so it would be about 30 each...the rental included gas for the scooter and all day rental. The lady we rented from was named Shirley....and we were led to the place where the scooters were, given a quick lesson of how to use the scooters and headed off. The Scooters were great, my friends and I were able to drive around the Island at our own ease and in our own time frame....we found a nice private beach next to the Sheraton and went to a local market. You can't get lost there is only one main road on the island and it's one way, mind you people drive on the left side!!! And the main road back is easy to follow....although BEWARE OF RUSH HOUR TRAFFIC NEAR THE PORT!! the Bahamians drive insane around here and since we were in scooters they totally disregarded us in rush hour. My friends and I ended up getting separated because we bumped into a car and we had to stop to make sure everyone was alright..my friends on the other scooter made it to Atlantis just in time to see it, but My friend and I didn't although I had seen it before. In the end we made it in time to return the scooters at 5pm...although becareful here..because we were suppose to get $40 dollars back from our deposit but Shirley pulled us aside whispered really quickly that they work on commission and held one $20 bill towards us and the other towards her....in the end she haggled us out of a $20 tip...I didn't hear what she was saying and was lost and my other friends weren't aware so in the end I don't think they deserved that much of a tip but it was a great experienced...if you can, rent Scooters...just be careful driving! Also.....while on scooters you can stop at great picture places or take pictures while on the scooter...we saw caves where a guy proposed to his girlfriend and great beaches!
Read 2666 Nassau Reviews