Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by va_couturegirl

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Explorer of the Seas Cruise Review by va_couturegirl
Explorer of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Member Name: va_couturegirl
Cruise Date: March 2009
Embarkation: Bayonne (Cape Liberty)
Cabin Category: H

Honeymoon From He**
Let me preface this review by saying that I have never sailed another line because I love RC. No longer...

I read the reviews prior to mine and can't even believe that these cruisers were on the same ship! Although, some of the experiences couldn't have been shared because they were in my cabin. This cruise was booked after the last 7-night was ruined by a set of Promenade rooms that were so loud, I didn't sleep for 7-nights.

Anyway, I'll begin at the beginning;

The first cabin, an Oceanview Stateroom, was dirty when we embarked. How dirty, you may be thinking? Stains on the sheets, a dirty washrag on one of the lamps that is affixed to the wall, fingerprints on the sink and bathroom door that were a color that could have been a color close to blood (but I was hoping it was make-up), the micro-suede on the walls that is decorative was torn and stained (with what I don't want to know). Even the carpet was falling apart. There were magazine inserts still on the floor and greasy handprints on the inside of the cabin door.

The grand finale of it all...the room had the stench of Body Odor....

This was the cruise line that I talked up so fervently. So I called guest services and asked them to please come and take a look at the room. They did. And sent the Attendant. They bleached the bathroom, claimed the room hadn't been properly turned over and tried to get rid of the smell.

This was a room that previously held the Brady Bunch. The smell never went away...Not hours later. We returned later and they moved us to another room...After accidentally throwing away a personal item that I brought from home with the dirty bedding! I can see how they missed the fingerprints!

They had to fix the room and the smell just wouldn't go away, so we were moved after dinner.

I do wonder if the other reviews were written by RC employees because the shipped rocked so badly, I was seasick like I have never been!

Last year, I was on the Mariner during Hurricane Gustav and it NEVER rocked like this ship! By the way....Other than the room on that cruise, it was AMAZING!

Oh, did I mention the missing piece of propeller that apparently has NOTHING to do with the ship's functioning? That's right....I was told that the change in our itinerary was an experiment and had NOTHING TO DO with the broken PROP!

The toilets didn't flush right because the vacuum system was malfunctioning. So you could press the button, but everything would just stay there. For about 10 minutes.

That happened 2 days in a row.

The air system was backing up so that the air smelled like fecal material in various parts of the ship at different times of the day. My room (the new one) smelled like poo at 2:30 AM and woke me up out of a dead sleep. When I called guest relations the girl comes down and opens the bathroom door and says "You're right, it's not coming from the bathroom."

Really, Einstein....Thanks for that. It was coming from our air system.

My husband, who is an EMT saw a gentleman fall outside of the Windjammer because there are no handrails and the SMOOTH marble floor was wet, and it took 15 minutes for the wheelchair to arrive. Meanwhile, the staff was standing around and my husband was on the floor with the poor guy!

The dining room was a nightmare...The worst service I've ever had.

My saving grace was Toumi! That's why I'm positive that one of the reviews was written be an employee...I am great with names and I can't see spending my whole vacation writing down first and last names....

Thank you to Toumi, my Head Waiter....I have life threatening food allergies that RC failed to forward to the ship. Toumi took care of it after a disastrous first night. My husband and I sat for 30 minutes with no service at all. I think we got served water. I walked out after that. I would have swam home after that.

Oh, and the "State of the Art Fitness Center". Maybe for 1982. Plus, half of the treadmills weren't working. I gave up even trying to run the ship rocked so much. It was almost comical most days.

I couldn't even enjoy the Enrichment Lectures because lights were flickering and doors were opening and shutting on their own because of the ship rocking and shuddering. This is the middle of the ship....2nd deck...That's the most stable part!

The pool was closed down at one point....We got 3 hours in Puerto Rico (but RC will claim that it's a whole port day because we docked overnight:). I don't know about you, but I still consider it a foreign country and am not going out after dark!

They delivered our rum to the room that we originally had. When no one was in it, they took it back to the shop and didn't make an effort to try and figure out where it went. We had to get dressed (this was the night before departure) and go to the promenade to pick it up with our receipt from the first night...Thank goodness I keep things!

The Guest Relations Managers are blatant fabricators...

1. The passengers should have been told that we were leaving Puerto Rico half a day early prior to the cruise. It wasn't news to them...They knew it.

2. The prop was broken and the ship sailed anyway. RC claims that it doesn't affect the functioning of the ship. If that were true, why did we need an extra half day?

3. I was told that the ship was only going to rock from NJ to FL. Anyone on that ship can tell you it rocked 90% of the time. The other 10% it was stationary.

4. RC needs to take responsibility for it's neglect in this case.

5. One of my tablemates was medically evacuated in St Thomas. There were 3 ambulances waiting in NJ....Coincidence?

I have photos that are being printed and video of the ship. RC offered me the standard 25 % future cruise certificate.

I said that I would be happy if they would take the Explorer out of the water and make her safe.

My Nana could have been one of those who fell. I'm sure that the gentleman that my husband helped is someone's Grandpa.

Publication Date: 04/09/09