Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by snownyet: Another great vacation

Member Since 2006

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Another great vacation

Sail Date: March 2009

Embarkation: Excellent, having been in Ft Lauderdale for 3 days prior we had a rental car to return at the port by 10am so we were one of the first groups to arrive at the terminal, we were on board and tipping cocktails around noon. We had a balcony cabin, port side on deck 10, love that area on the conquest class ships, just a few doors from the lido deck and elevators. Plus being up high and in front we get some added motion to rock us to sleep at night. Never really saw the cabin steward, although he did a fantastic job.

Overall we really liked the ship, I read complaints about the decor and deck layout and I don't get it. Was it gaudy? Yep, did I like, sure did! Its a cruise ship, they're all gaudy in one way or another, I cant imagine it having a negative effect on your vacation. We had the early seating dinner in the lower posh dining room, our family was a group of 9 seated at table 158. Service was good, the food was ok. Having cruised princess and HAL in the More past to compare quality, selection and taste Id say theres room for improvement. We did eat one night in the Sun King, it was outstanding, Id say its a must do for those who like a great meal and superb service, best Ive had at sea. I really wasn't a fan of the Lido buffet, way too crowded and the food was so so, after 8 days we were all tired of the same thing day after day for breakfast. It seems 3000 people on a cruise ship brings out the worst in people when put in a buffet line, the rudeness and lack of common courtesy gets old by day 3.

We enjoyed the entertainment for the most part, didn't care for the dancers but the comedians were great. Vince in the piano bar is a hoot, the band Music Connection is very good but Terry Jo in the casino is painful for me to watch, Ive never seen such an animated keyboard/flute player. There was a guitar player/singer named Chuck who played the atrium bar nightly at dinner time, he had quite the catalog of songs to play and it was the perfect venue for him. While I'm on the topic of music I must note the music played on the lido deck daily deck was the most irritating noise Ive ever heard at sea, the volume gets turned up higher than the sound system can handle and the result is blaring, distorted noise, ear plugs would have been a nice item to have packed, the big screen on deck is a definite asset. We spent a number of nights at the Lido bar with Sergio Sciolla, the Chief Engineer and his staff Angelo, Augusto,Giovanni and a couple others who's names I cannot recall. What a hilarious wonderful staff! They treated us like family and I truly thank them for their hospitality, I'd sail a Carnival ship again for no other reason than to see those guys. Debarking was smooth, we had an 11:40 flight and were in the airport before 9am. Its a shame a week goes by so fast, it was hard to say goodbye and the reality of being back at home stinks. Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Balcony Panorama 1056

Great Balcony, a bit more motion than lower more aft cabins, close to elevators and lido deck.

This was also our third time to Antigua, in the past we had taken the catamaran around the island and loved it, this time we chose the Pirates of Antigua boat tour. It was ok, they cram too many people on the boat and take you to snorkel at a ship wreck just around the corner from the port thats really nothing to see. It was a good time but didn't compare the the beautiful catamaran sail we had done in the past at this stop.
Read 808 Antigua Reviews

Nassau was interesting, being our first time here we left the ship to have a horse and carriage guy named Eric tell us the best beach on the island was just a short walk around the corner from the port. "Go to senior frogs and take a left" he said! A word of advice don't GO THERE! What a dump, unkept, rocky and somewhat uncomfortable surroundings with restrooms I wouldn't let my dog do his business in. We quickly walked back to the terminal where a wonderful cab driver named G-Man took us to paradise island for $4 each. The public beach here is the also the same beach where Atlantis is located, the public entrance is adjacent to Atlantis and the beach is beautiful and the water is very soothing. don't pay the $89 through the ship for the Atlantis beach day, you can go to the same place for a $4 dollar per person cab ride, walk onto the beach for free and walk right onto Atlantis' property and eat and drink if you'd like, they don't take cash there, credit cards only. It was 90+ degrees this day, the water and sand was perfect and Id love to go back.
Read 2666 Nassau Reviews

We arrived in san juan just after 11am and went to town around 1. Just did some shopping here and returned to the ship, nothing special.
Read 1380 San Juan Reviews

We arrived in St Thomas in the morning and rain begain just as we were ready leave the ship. It didnt last long and we were downtown by 10:30 for some shopping where we bit the bullet and purchased some jewelry for my wife and then went on a tour of the island. It was our 5th time here and our first tour, its a beautiful island but its too bad they dont have a little more pride and pick up the trash along all the roads. Previously we had always taken the Champagne catamaran to trunk bay and enjoyed wonderful snorkeling, this time we wanted to try something different and werent dissapointed, the view from mountain top is spectacular.
Read 2342 St. Thomas Reviews

This was our third time to Tortola, we had done the Baths at Virgin Gorda and Dolphin swim in the past so this time we took a taxi to Cane Garden Bay and relaxed for the day. Its a beautiful beach, with beautiful calm blue water and a nice peaceful way to spend the day.
Read 502 Tortola Reviews