Norwegian Gem Cruise Review by beachbummers: Gem of a bad idea!

beachbummers
Member Since 2007

Cabin Not Rated

Compare Prices on Norwegian Gem Cruise to Nowhere Cruises

Gem of a bad idea!

Sail Date: March 2009
Destination: Cruise to Nowhere
Embarkation: New York (Manhattan)

My wife and kids booked the cruise as a birthday present for me.The kids,both under 10,were really looking forward to using their own money to purchase the birthday room decoration package as a present to me. Only they don't do it for the one day cruise. Nothing in the web site about that. The trip was booked at the last minute,so all that was left was a minisuite.Very nice cabin, plenty of room for 4. Total cost was $930.Over $240 of that cost was for government taxes and fees.

Check in was easy,on the ship at 12:30,dropped the bags off at the room,room guy was still cleaning room,slipped him $10 to make some towel animals for the kids. He never made them and we never saw him again. We went down the the Cafe buffet. It was outstanding! Nice selection, all good.By 1:30 there were no tables and people had to eat standing up. Went bowling for $40.

The one day cruise had an interesting mix of people.Some families,some who couldn't afford a full length cruise,some More 18 or 19 year olds who were waiting for the ship to get 3 miles out ,so they could drink and gamble. But mostly it was a booze cruise type crowd. The temperature was in the 20's on deck and yet the hot tubs were always filled with drinkers. Funny how you never saw anyone leave to use the bathroom. Diner at Magenta was terrible. The drink waiter seemed annoyed we had kids and therefore wasn't going to get a big drink order from us. I ordered a drink that didn't arrive until we were leaving. I refused it and had it taken off the bill. My wife and I both had beef dishes that were disgusting. We waited for the kids to finish their food,chicken fingers and mac & cheese, than went back to the buffet for dinner. Our waiter didn't care.

We went to the Colorz show. It was all about songs that had a color in the title. Boring We had one of those 19 year olds and his girlfriend with an open bottle of wine sitting behind us in the theater. Talked the whole time until I shushed them away. When we got out of the show, you could see how people were starting to get sloppy and stupid. We went back to the cabin and called it a night. The next morning we were lucky to find a table for breakfast. Getting an omelet made was impossible. The food was good,but you really can't mess up breakfast. This was our first Norwegian cruise. I didn't like the layout of he ship. I like Royal Caribbean's atrium going down the middle of the ship. Also the 24 cafe on the Gem requires you to get seated and order your food. On Royal Caribbean, their 24 hour cafe is basically self serve. You can sit and eat or take it back to your room. I'd never do the one day cruise again. Not really for families. The next time I would take the money to Atlantic City,get a room at the Borgata,eat there and still have $400 left over for gambling. Less

Read more Norwegian Gem cruise reviews >>