Ruby Princess Cruise Review by 3CruisesAYear

Cruise Date: March 2009
Cabin Category: PH
Cabin Number: R401

Ship Facts: Ruby Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Ruby Princess Deck Plans
Ruby Princess – Beautiful Ship – Worst Food EVER!
This was our second Princess cruise. The first one was 11 years ago and I swore I'd never do another. 11 years ago we sailed the Caribbean (I forget the ship's name). The dining room service was decent and food was great but the customer service on the ship couldn't care any less about you. Due to a group vote I ended up on a Princess cruise again - 3/28/09 - Ruby Princess.

The ship was gorgeous, good job there! We always cruise in suites and we were lucky enough to get one of the largest suites on the ship. It was small compared to other suites but overall it was very functional. I compared this cruise to the lines I frequent (Disney and Royal Caribbean). This cruise came up short. The ship, although not the largest, is probably the nicest I've been on. Other than that, the cruise was a letdown and, if I can help it, my last cruise on Princess. My biggest complaints are:

1) We paid the extra 3k for the suite. Disney and RC treat you like a king. Princess, treated me like everyone else. The expedited boarding was anything but, you had to wait in the same customer service lines as everyone else, they couldn't book me on a tour of the ship (it was random drawing), the anytime seating really means first come first served (even though they say suite guests get priority, that was false), free dry cleaning wasn't free, etc etc. Just note, if you pay the extra money you get a "slightly" larger room and that's about it.

2) The food was the WORST of any cruise ship I've ever been on - EVER. We left dinners hungry because the food was so bad. Hungry on a cruise ship?? Can you believe it? The special restaurants were horrible as well. The meat at the steak grille reminded me of college steak days (small flank steak) and the Italian Restaurant wasn't much better. And, for whatever reason, in the Italian Restaurant you're vibrated around like someone put 25cents in the table.

3) The 1st level pool deck (deck 15) is a huge pain because there is no room to walk. They load it full of chairs and some master designer put columns in the walk ways - good luck.

4) The activities on board were horrible.

In summary, great looking ship, few good crew members (find Godwin, great guy!), clean rooms, quite checkout (love that!), horrible food, customer service couldn't care less about you (see Disney for best customer service ever) and no real perks for the suite. If you are forced to go on this ship you won't gain as much weight (unless you force yourself to eat the food) but overall you'll enjoy it. If you can help it, go on another line.

(There were 8 of us on this cruise and everyone said the same thing - worst food ever) (When talking to other passangers they all agreed about how bad the food was)

Publication Date: 04/06/09