Ruby Princess Cruise Review by Garn

Member Name: Garn
Cruise Date: March 2009
Cabin Category: BD
Cabin Number: A235
See More About: Ruby Princess Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | Princess Cruise Deals
        7-9 5.0
        10-12 4.0

Ship Facts: Ruby Princess Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Ruby Princess Deck Plans
3 Generations + 7 Nights + 4 Ports = Lots of fun
Embarkation was quick and painless... no waiting at all (we arrived around 12:45). The first-day buffet was insane, but expected. The Ruby is a gorgeous ship, inside and out. It is a little hard to get around the rear of the ship, but otherwise it's very well-designed and nicely laid out.

We had balconies forward on the Aloha deck (three in a row, with an inside for the kids across from our cabin). The cabin was smallish, but it worked pretty well. There was plenty of closet space, although it would have been nice to have a little more shelving. The fruit baskets delivered to the cabin was a nice touch. Our cabin steward, Romlan, was wonderful, and made some great towel animals for my daughter, which delighted her. It was nice to be able to open the dividers between our balconies, so that we could move between our cabins without going through the halls. I don't know if it was the acoustics of the ship, or just the passengers, but we could hear other people's conversations on the balconies, often being woken up by loud talkers.

The food in the dining room was delicious, and it was always difficult to make a selection, with so many great choices. I thought they did a nice job of balancing the more exotic choices with "safer" ones. For us, one of the joys of cruising is being able to try something that you might not like without any risk, so we really appreciated the number of unique dishes available. They also did a good job of letting us mix-and-match from the kids and adult menus- so that my daughter could order fruit salad and king crab. The waiters were good with the kids, and stuck a nice balance between warm and professional.

On formal nights, I saw fairly few tuxes, (10-20% max), some men in dress shirts and tie with no jackets, or jackets with no tie (another 10-20%), but no one dressed down from that.

The buffets were good for buffets, but did not compare with the dining room quality. And I don't understand why Princess serves lousy coffee in the buffet when the rest of their product is so good. The lemonade was terrific, but only offered in the buffet (why not in the dining room?), and you needed to ask a waiter for it, and it seemed a big hassle for him to get it.

Based on recommendations I'd read here, my father-in-law and I signed up for the Chef's table. I'm usually fairly cheap, but that was a very well-spent $75. Amazing food, amazing experience.

The shows were excellent. The first, "Broadway Ballroom" (or something like that) was a show-tune review with excellent singing and dancing. The other "Once Upon a Dream" had the ghost of a plot, but was mostly another song-and-dance vehicle, with some great special effects. Both shows were great for kids as well as adults. I was disappointed that there were only two different "big" shows, and that to get a good seat you needed to be in the theater at least 35 minutes early.

The kids club had all sorts of great equipment- air hockey, foosball, Playstations, but it seemed to me that generally it was the toys that the kids were interacting with, not the staff. The counselors didn't really engage the kids, they supervised. I also think that the 8-12 age range is too broad- there's not much that the kids at the extremes have in common. Also, the programs shut down from 12-2 and 5-7, which are not the most convenient times. I'd also have hoped that they would have had something more family appropriate on MUTS during the hours that the Kids Club was closed on Sea Days- but "Eagle Eye" really doesn't fit that bill.

Speaking of MUTS, it is a great concept, and a lot of fun. What I don't understand is why they don't have something running all day. A movie would end at 1:30, and the next wouldn't start until 3:00. I understand that not everyone wants to see something, but if you're sitting in front of the MUTS screen, chances are good that you do. Even filler such as music videos or cartoon would be nice.

And while I'm up on deck, let me add my voice to the chorus of those frustrated with chair hogs. I really think Princess needs to be more proactive in dealing with them. My family found the only open chairs (not enough), and then were offered a couple more by a family that left after having been there an hour or so. An hour later, some guy came up, irate, saying that those were HIS chairs, and he'd just gone to lunch (although a group on the other side confirmed he'd been gone at least 2 hours. Who needs conflict like this on vacation?

The service overall was very good. It was much better than on Norwegian, where even the passenger services people didn't seem to know anything. But it still wasn't quite in the same league as Disney, where every cabin steward seemed to know everything about the ship.

Our arrival in Port Everglades was delayed over an hour due to problems stowing the lifeboat. I understand that things like this happen, but Princess did a terrible job managing it- the only announcement was around 5:30pm, with the Captain announcing that it "would affect our arrival"- but they never said by how much, or when we should report to our debarkation places, etc. When I called passenger services and ask what time I should show up in the dining room for my 7:10 walkoff, I was told "You should be there at 7:10, but it will be late, so you don't need to be there at 7:10". "So, what time should I be there?" "Um.... 7:30?" It didn't exactly fill me with confidence. It surprised me that there were not "standard delayed arrival procedures" that could be followed to keep things running smoothly and keep the passengers informed.

Publication Date: 04/05/09