“I've been on better cruises”
Cruise review of Norwegian Gem

nygiantzz1 Norwegian Gem 2 I've been on better cruises
nygiantzz1
Member Since 2009
No Forum Posts
No Helpful Votes
Overall Member Rating
I would like to cover the positives before I get into the negatives. The Norwegian Gem is a beautiful ship. It is well laid out, tastefully decorated and beautifully appointed. Overall, a very nice boat. The staff were always polite and friendly. The weather was great. This, unfortunately is where the positives end. Listed below are detailed descriptions of the negatives.

Overall Cost: Everything onboard is very expensive. To provide a few examples: draft beer=6.50, laundry- t shirt= 4.95, internet access= .40/minute, in room movie rental= 12.00, etc. In addition, every corner you turn on this ship, there is somebody trying to sell you something. Everything from drinks to jewelry and spa treatments. They actually had the girls from the spa working the pool area trying to get people into the spa. I can see having someone outside the spa soliciting business, but to have them hawking business poolside was just tasteless.

On Board Activities: The Second City Comedy Act was decent, but everything else was pretty lame. It's almost impossible to see a show without getting to the theater at least 45minutes before the show. The theater fills quickly. There were a variety of other activities for a price, Bingo=29.00, Beer Tasting=15.00, Margarita tasting=15.00. There were free activities too, mostly seminars on how to buy jewelry during the Ships stops. Are you starting to see the common theme? I felt like I was being nickle and dimed every day on this ship.

Food: There is no nice way to put this, the quality of the food in the main dining rooms is a joke. It is just bad. The selections were limited and the portions were small. Nothing was ever hot and the wait staff seemed cold and indifferent. The buffets were only a little better. Again, the selection was limited and never hot but the quality was better than the dining room. I ended up spending additional money every day after the first night for the specialty restaurants just to get a decent meal. My wife was so upset by her experience in the main dining room that I felt I needed to make it up to her with a good dinner every night. I have no complaints about the specialty restaurants. We ate at Cagney's, Tequila's and the Orchid. All were fantastic. Good service, excellent food and service at all three.

Overall Impression: If money is no object, you can have a nice time on this ship. If you're on a tight budget, consider a different cruise line. I have sailed Carnival twice and have none of the complaints I detailed above with one exception. Carnival is no better than Norwegian with their pricing of drinks and services. You will, however, get far better food and service on a Carnival ship without having to pay an additional 30-40.00 per night for dinner. I will not sail with Norwegian again. I have learned first hand that there is nothing free about Freestyle Cruising.

Norwegian Gem Cruises to the Bahamas
  • Service
  • Shore Excursions
  • Value for Money

Cabin review:

The cabin was nice, bathroom was well equipped with a large shower. The cabin was not all that big, but it was well designed with lots of storage space.

Port
Another port with almost nothing. There is a Straw Market at the port with souvenirs and clothing, but that's it. Nothing but cranes and large cargo ships. Your only option is to book expensive shore excursions. Our time in Freeport was short (5 hours). I did not see the point in shelling out a lot money for a quick trip across the island.
Read 1,078 Freeport Reviews
Port
Nassau is a nice town. Atlantis is beyond beautiful. It is typical of most island ports, lots of hustle and bustle mixed with palm trees and great weather. We visited Atlantis, The Straw Market, Hard Rock Cafe and Senor Frog's. We had a very nice time strolling the streets and shopping once we got away from the port area and the ship. The port is typical of all cruise ports, several dozen people trying to sell, sell, sell. Everything from Atlantis tours to time shares. We had to walk several blocks to get away from it. This port is actually one of the worst I've experienced for pushy vendors and street hawkers. The worst would be St. Thomas. This is why I give Nassau a 3 instead of a higher mark. Eliminate the sales tactics and I would give it a 5. I really enjoyed the island itself.
Read 4,130 Nassau Reviews
Port Canaveral is nothing but a shipping port. There is nothing there but the cruise terminal and parking lot. If you don't want to pay for a shore excursion(very expensive)or arrange other transportation, don't bother getting off the ship.
Published 03/30/09
No Helpful Votes
Read Cruise Critic’s Norwegian Gem Review
Norwegian Gem Cruises to the Bahamas
Share feedback
Thank you!  Cruise Critic values your feedback.
How can we improve this page?