Carnival Legend Cruise Review by rockymt_woman: Unforgetable Legendary Cruise

Compare Prices on Carnival Legend Western Caribbean Cruises

Unforgetable Legendary Cruise

Sail Date: March 2009
Embarkation: Tampa

We got to Tampa the day before. I didn't have travel arranged for us through the cruise line but some of our group did. Carnival did not met them at the airport and so they had to figure out on their own what to do. We just grabbed a taxi and headed out to our hotel. Stayed at the Marriott Residence Inn and it was great. Fairly new and in excellent condition. Breakfast was good also.

We got a shuttle the next day to the pier. It took longer than usual, the SEC Conference tournament was going on downtown so we hit a lot of traffic where I think they usually don't have. We gave the porter or bags and started our wait in line. It took about an hour. After much research I expected that much time, but the line moved constantly so it didn't feel that long.

We got on and headed up to Lido deck for some lunch. We had people already up there, so we got some food and start our cruise eating. The food was good and no problem finding a place to eat. Even if we More didn't have places saved there was a lot of choices. We explored the boat and found our way around. At 1:30 we went to our room, did some unpacking, met our room steward Aldo (who is the best!) and got settled. We went down to the pursers deck and requested the door on the balcony between my sisters room and mine to be opened. It was opened the next day. We had a cabin that overlooked the life boats in the aft part of the ship. It didn't bother me at all with the boats there. We were looking straight out most of the time. I would book this cabin class again.

The food on the cruise was great. Always at temp, never cold, unless it needed to be. Our server Ozay was fantastic!! He made sure the guys had a special dessert for them each night. There was 14 in our group and split between 2 tables but we moved around a lot and that didn't cause a problem for Ozay, the bar guy however, it took a couple of days to figure us out. We had pizza late at night that was good and if you get to the Hamburger place just as it opens up at 11:00 the fries are to die for. Good hamburgers and hotdogs too. That was a favorite late night spot to hang. We had room service most mornings, typical continental breakfast. The truffles was good for breakfast and we met some nice people. Breakfast on Lido wasn't bad either. I really enjoyed eating out on my balcony in the morning. I wish the menu was better for room service for that. We loved the variety and it seemed everything we had was good.

We participated in the games, and quizzes on board and had a blast. The shows were pretty good. The balancing act was amazing and the juggler was super funny. Comedy was also funny. I didn't see the last show, I wasn't feeling well, but was told the piano guy was just ok.

I am not a drinker so I can't comment on the bars and I don't gamble so I can't comment on the casino.

I did see people cleaning all the time. We saw them painting the ship, washing it down, mopping up messes, wiping down tables. I didn't notice a lot of wear and tear on the ship.

We didn't want to leave. We had a great time and would go on this cruise again, same ports, same boat. Less

Read more Carnival Legend cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Legend Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Legend Balcony Upper 5235

Large room, lots of storage, loved the balcony, enough light always, great sized bathroom.

At Belize we had to tender again. This is a longer tender than Grand Caymans. We went with an independent group this time. We still met down at the Follies with the other Carnival tours but we got a different number. If you are doing this get down to the Follies early so you can get on the first tender available. We were taken off the Legend the same as the day before in our group and it went real fast. We did cave tubing with Major Tom and the Fun Team. They met us at the pier and we paid right there. Major Tom came and talked to us a bit and introduced us to the Fun Team. We walked a short way to our bus and then they drove us to town and out to the cave site. Most of our group did the ziplining and cavetubing, those that didn't went straight to do cavetubing. The ziplining was super fun. We got done and I wanted to do more. But it was on to the cavetubing. We got our tubes, headlamps and off we went. It is a nice walk, not long at all. Along the way they would tell us about the plants and animals. We dropped in and had a great float down the river. I do have to say it was very crowded on the river that day. Many different tour groups, with people. I was amazed at how many some of them had. Some people didn't even have their life jackets on. They just had them on the side. We had a great time, very relaxing and fun. We stopped at a place for lunch. We didn't pre-order lunch when we booked the tour. Next time I will. They did have enough food so we got some and I am so glad I did. It was the best! I am trying to get the recipes. We were running late, but they made a call and told them we were running late, about 1/2 hour. The boat was held for us and we had no problems at all.

Getting off the boat at this one was much easier. We had a planned a Carnival excursion. We met in the Follies and then when everything was ready they took us off the boat one group at a time. Much smoother than the first day. We took the Tulum tour. The ferry ride was smooth and didn't take long at all. The bus ride was a little long but it was nice to see country and the stop midway through was welcomed. Our tour guide, Ernie, took us around for a bit and gave us some great information about the area and the buildings. We then had time to explore on our own. It is amazing there and so breath taking. I would have liked a little more time to go down to the beach, but I was more interested in seeing the sights. We didn't take the little tracker shuttle to the site. The walk was short and on a dirt road. The little shops there were fun to wonder through - we bought a couple of things and then had a great lunch. Before getting back on the bus, our guide gave us our "snack" bottled water, chips, hostess cupcake and crackers. But the best thing he gave us was a cold damp wash cloth. It was a hot day and that was so refreshing. We were running a little late, it was a good thing we were with the cruise line. After ferrying back to Cozumel we had our parents walk real slow back to the boat so we could do some quick shopping. It all worked out. The line was long getting back onto the Legend but went fast. I gave this a little lower rating due to the fact that the bus ride is a little long.
Read 3120 Cozumel Reviews

We woke up in the morning and looked out on our balcony and saw Grand Cayman. This we didn't have an excursion planned right away so we took our time getting ready. This was the only port that we had problems getting off the ship. It seemed a little unorganized. We got off the elevator on level A as told and walked into a line, two to be exact. The lines getting off the ship originated somewhere up a couple of stairs. Being our first cruise we didn't know what was going on. We asked fellow cruisers and asked them how we are to get up the stairs. The just said we need to go to the back of the line and it was up the stairs. (Looking back now a better answer would be to tell us to go up a level on the elevator and find the end.) So looking at my husband not knowing what to do. People let us hop in front of them and pretend to be with them. Super sweet. We had plans with Capt. Marvin's excursions. Short shuttle ride to the dock and on the boat we were. We had Capt Jimmy and he was great. We snorkeled a couple of spots. It was amazing to see all of the fish - so many colors, many different types. Be sure to take a water-proof camera - you will use it. Then we went on to Sting Ray City. People ask - is there a lot of people? Yes. Do you notice how many? No - I didn't. We stayed around the boat and they came right up and would surprise you if you weren't looking. We fed them, held them, kissed them, and got the back massage. Amazing day. They had water and fruit punch on board to drink. The fruit punch was super yummy. Ride back on the shuttle to the office and we had time to do a little shopping and held back to the boat. Getting on was easier then getting off. I would definitely do this one again. Capt. Marvin's crew was great!!

(5.5)
My most favorite stop. We spent most of our time out at Fin's and Flippers. I had scheduled a massage and that was heavenly. I would think there was about 30 people there but I didn't see more than 10 at one time and most of the time it was when one was coming and one was going. We saw a hand full of the ships crew there. You know you have found a great place when the crew is hanging out there. It was so peaceful and serene. We went back to Coxen Hole early and did a little shopping. I did most of my shopping here and I am glad I did. Great local wares and friendly people. Getting off the ship there were a lot of people trying to get us to do something, but we told them we were fine and they left us alone. We walked 1/2 to the left of the pier and found Castle of Cameos. That was a treasure. Some people were shocked with the prices, but they make everything right there. It is such an art, very beautiful pieces. I found what I wanted and purchased it from a cute girl, it must have been one of her first sales because she was very proud and was telling all the girls in the store about it. I didn't buy anything expensive, to me, but it meant a lot to her. Getting on the ship was a long hot line but we weren't in the sun and that was good. We definitely do not spend enough time at this port. Carnival needs to be there early in the morning and leave much later. I wanted to so much more there.
Read 1649 Roatan Reviews