Norwegian Spirit Cruise Review by Sunny Young: Norwegian Spirit - Alaska

Norwegian Spirit - Alaska

Sail Date: June 2004
Destination: Alaska
Embarkation: Vancouver

First let me say we were blessed with NOT ONE DROP OF RAIN!!!! One crew member told us that in 7 years he had never had better weather.

We traveled with my 14 year old son, my husband and I, and my 80+ yr old parents and all had a wonderful time. Mom even won a hundred bucks at bingo! Since there was so little wrong I will start with that.

The casino was small and not too many folks had any luck at the slots. The folks playing black jack seemed to have better luck. The crab legs were skimpy, and there could have been more planned games for couples. That's it, that's all that wasn't darn near perfect.

My son was lost to us, there were 30 teens on the ship and they were all with Club Hal whenever there was something planned. He just kept thanking us and telling us what a great time he was having. Our table mates had a 5 year old daughter and they had to drag her outta her age club Hal. Very good job with the kids!

The food on the whole was More excellent. Nice variety and I didn't have one bad meal. Could have had more and bigger crab legs but they were good and the creme brulee more than made up for them. LOL.

There were many different lounges, we liked them all, but found our place in the crows nest watching for whales. We saw one and became addicted. Then we saw orcas, sea otters (cutest little things in the sea), many more Whales and then a national geographic moment on our way out of glacier bay. We witnessed a huge humpback and his pod feeding. We watched this guy for 20 min all the time getting closer to him. He was blowing and slapping his tail and flippers and then wow, he breached like 3-4 times right off the bow. Yes, I got pictures and video!!!

The side trips were good in the ports. You can save some money not booking them through the ship. Best shopping is in Ketchikan. Good coupon books given when you board the ship. We hiked (easy trail) back to the waterfall at Mendenhall in Juneau, then went whale watching too. Took the railway in Skagway. It was ok, boring for kids. Oh yeah, Juneau in port is GREAT for spotting eagles. Like 8 at a time! No kidding!!! Nice town. The glaciers are cool! My 14 yr old was amazed with them. We saw 2 pretty good calvings. Loud.

Our room was an inside cabin, plenty of room for the 3 of us. The beds were pillowtop and very comfortable and I am a tough critic on beds. The crew was very good, although we did notice a bit of prejudice between the crew which was totally mindblowing in this day and age. What is wrong with people?

I have been on several cruises and I would rate this one very high. If you can't have fun on this cruise, I suspect you can't have fun. Oh yeah, the shows weren't that good. In fact, they were barley even good, let alone great. But we didn't go to many and usually don't. My son liked a couple of them and my parents did too, so maybe I just expected to much. Less

Read more Norwegian Spirit cruise reviews >>