Carnival Triumph Cruise Review by quikin

Member Name: quikin
Cruise Date: March 2009
Cabin Category: 8E

Drat! We're back...sigh
We are just back from the Carnival Triumph 3/8/09 - 3/15/09 cruise to Ocho Rios, Grand Cayman, and Cozumel.

We flew in directly from Atlanta. I think this is the last time we are going to do this. I'm just getting too old for that long travel day. I'll spring for the hotel for a night from now on. We took the Carnival shuttle from the Ft. Lauderdale Airport to Miami. It was a perfectly good shuttle. The Carnival staff member who greeted us at the airport was very friendly and helpful. The shuttle itself was a bus.

We arrived at the port around 11:30 and were on the ship at around 12:20. The embarkation process was smooth since we had our fun pass already filled out online and had printed out our documents and brought them with us. We had all of this information in hand and ready to go by the time we got to the counter. We had some lunch in the Lido restaurant and were able to get into our room by 1:30.

John, our room steward, introduced himself by midafternoon. He agreed to put the beds together and bring us extra pillows without blinking and eye. John was great. He always had our room taken care of but we rarely saw him.

People always talk about the public rooms on a ship. The decor and colors and whatnot. I barely notice this kind of stuff. This ship looked as fine as any of the other ships I have been on. We are true believers that a cruise is largely what you make of it. We are there to relax and be pampered, not be interior design critics.

The Paris Dining Room was great. Juan and Maynarld, our waiters were wonderful and Aris the bar waiter had a Diet Coke waiting for me every night. The food was great as always. My favorite was the lamb chops and the GF really loved the Flat Iron Steak. Then there is the chocolate melting cake. The GF's favorite. Unfortunately, it seems that it is more melting than cake. It just seems like a bowl of really hot batter anymore. It's tasty batter but I would prefer more cake and less molten. The food on the Lido was good too. I've gotta say though, the pizza - not good. It's undercooked and it seems that the cheese is very possibly "cheese-food" Honestly, the pizza at Cici's is better. The deli though. Really good. I had corned beef, pastrami, and grilled ham and cheese. The GF was all about plain old turkey on white bread and she loved it.

We spent some time in the casino. Nothing too exciting happened in there. We both gave a donation but we enjoyed spending it. We ended up winning $500 playing Bingo so it all worked out.

I understand from my tablemates at dinner that the shows were good, but to be honest, there is something about being on a ship that just plain rocks me to sleep. I'm usually crashed out by 10ish.

Debarkation was smooth and painless. Monday morning came way too soon.

It was sad on Sunday night when we walked into the bedroom and there was no towel animal - no turndown - no mint on the pillow. Reality is the pits. We're booking our next cruise now.

Publication Date: 03/22/09