Carnival Freedom Cruise Review by Vmar: Nice cruise but I've had better

Vmar
Member Since 2008

Family & Children 3.0

Compare Prices on Carnival Freedom Western Caribbean Cruises

Nice cruise but I've had better

Sail Date: March 2009

Embarkation We arrived at the gate around 11:30 but had to wait in line in what seemed like a warehouse. The lines moved very slowly. Upon check in we were not able to put a limit on our kids sail and sign cards, we were told we had to do this at the guest service desk once on board. They were also unable to punch a whole in the cards for the kids to attach to their lanyards. Once we got on board the line up at guest services was ridiculously long so we proceeded to the buffet lunch which was not very good.

Decor My first impression of the ship was that it's decor was very tacky and loud. I'm all for fun but tiger striped walls is a bit over the top. The ceilings in the upper level posh dining room are ridiculously low. I felt almost claustrophobic. In the gym the windows are very low also so the view is not very good.

Kids Club The boys went to a few events and had fun but the 12 to 14 year old club has no lounge of their own. They move from place to place depending More on whatspace is available. They were given a paper with the weeks events at the start of the week. We were expecting nightly invitations on their beds like on RC but his didn't happen.

Cabin We loved our cabin and cabin steward Randy. We had enough room for the 4 of us. My only complaint was that there was no speaker in the room so we would have to run and open the door to hear any announcements. There was also no radio or clock.

Food I was not at all impressed with the dining room food. I found the talapia and chicken very dried out. I was not thrilled with any meal. The buffets were filled with high fat and salt foods. The fresh fruit in the morning was only wedges of melon(tasteless) and whole fruit (apples,oranges and banana) We expected a fruit salad combo with pineapple and strawberries.

Service My husband came down with a bad cold near the end of the trip. I was up near the buffet and asked for orange juice to bring down to him. Since it was after breakfast time I was told that I would have to call room service. The staff would not get it for me.(not impressed)

Overall I don't think I will book with Carnival again. I know I paid less than RC but the differences were night and day. I will gladly pay the extra. When teenage boys notice a difference it is very apparent. Less

Read more Carnival Freedom cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Carnival Freedom Review >>

Cabin review: Carnival Freedom Balcony Empress 7368

Great room for 4, very quiet, balcony is too tight. The one chair reclines so there is no room to put your feet.

We swam with stingrays and my kids loved it. I was terrified and I think the kids found that more entertaining than the rays. It was magical for them and they will never forget it. After that we just walked around near port but had to wait in line for almost an hour to get a tender back to the ship. There was really nothing for a family to see near the port. It's fine if you are a real Margarittaville lover but that is not our family.

Not the best for teenagers. We did walk to the 0 mile marker and stopped for key lime pie at the blonde giraffe.(yum yum) I think the cruise ships have killed the essence of what Key West actually was. The buildings were charming but Duvall street is tawdry.

Read 734 Key West Reviews

My husband was sick with a cold when we got to Ocho Rios but we still went to Dunn's River Falls and Tubing on the river. We didn't participate but our boys did. The kids just loved it and said it was the best part of the trip.