Costa Concordia, A Look Back Cruise Review by stevencairns88

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Costa Concordia, A Look Back Cruise Review by stevencairns88
Costa Concordia, A Look Back
Costa Concordia, A Look Back
Member Name: stevencairns88
Cruise Date: November 2008
Embarkation: Venice
Destination: Western Mediterranean
Cabin Category: 9
Cabin Number: unsur
See More About: Costa Concordia, A Look Back Cruise Reviews | Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews | Costa Cruise Deals

Ship Facts: Costa Concordia, A Look Back Review (by Cruise Critic!)
Awful Experience from begining to end

When we arrived on the ship, the stateroom was nice, and the cabin stewardess was tremendous. The meals seriously lacked flavor, and the buffet for lunch and breakfast was farcical beyond belief, not a good experience.

We had a few issues on board and the guest service staff are collectively rude and frustrating, and demonstrate an unfailing ability not to help you and shrug their shoulders as though they don't care. There were lots of unhappy guests complaining about various things, and the reception staff couldn't care less. I initially booked my cruise for myself and partner. My partner managed to get the week off and we were ready to go. A few weeks before we were set to go, we were called and advised the cruise had been cancelled and we were offered alternatives. One of which was double the value of any other costa cruse, which i opted for. Because the date was changed my partner could no longer come so i had to bring a friend. When i tried to book double the value, Costa kept knocking back our requests saying they were too expensive, resulting in us not getting anywhere near the double the value promised!Turns out (a staff member advised me on the new cruise) that our initial cruise ship was damaged as it bashed into a dock. The captain ran it for a few days and they patched it up and at every port until they could run it no further. Costa of course, lied and stated this was not the case, saying it was in dry dock the whole time. When you looked on the costa website, you could look at the web cam and watch guests stroll about the decks.

The ship itself is a little more tacky than classy, with cardboard statues dotted about the ship.

The main concern was disembarkation. We were flying from Milan Malpesa and were supposed to disembark at 11am. At 11am, no word and we were left sitting there until late afternoon with no information whatsoever. We were then moved to a small room and left there for an hour before being told we were not getting home that night because the road to the airport was blocked. Fair enough, these things happen, however turns out during the time they left us sitting there, 2 trains left that we could have paid for ourselves to get to the airport. Again the staff didn't care. We were moved to a hotel near the ship and left there for the night. Again, had to wait until 11pm to find out what flight we were on the next day.

Next day we had breakfast in the hotel and were sent to the airport by bus which took a few hours. On arrival turns out, costa booked us on the latest possible flight home meaning being stuck in the airport for about 7 hours. Costa point black refused to give us any food or drink. Stories about why we did not go on earlier flights varied, all of which were lies as we later found out.

Ship Info- nice enough Activities- not really many Service- poor Port & Shore Excursions- not used Summary- a planned good holiday gone wrong Stateroom- nice Dining- poor Entertainment- very poor Disembarkation- disaster

After sales support is really disappointing, i was dealing with the PA to the director who has an inability to address any issues you present to them. Shame really,my advice is to travel with another carrier and spend a little more to get a lot more.

Publication Date: 03/17/09
More Costa Concordia, A Look Back Cruise Reviews

Read the previous Costa Concordia, A Look Back review Read the next Costa Concordia, A Look Back review

More Western Mediterranean Cruise Reviews