Eurodam Cruise Review by Jimr923: Nice for older folks

Member Since 2009

Compare Prices on Eurodam Eastern Caribbean Cruises

Nice for older folks

Sail Date: March 2009

We flew into Ft. LAuderdale. We booked thru Holland America, so they took care of the reservations, which was fine for the trip down, but not home!! More on that later. Anyhow, we did not pay for transfers as the airport is only maybe 2 - 3 miles, so a cab ride was only a total of $12.00 and that included a 8 - 10 minute at the port to get in. Once arriving, we were quickly checked in with no problems. We were in cabin 8123 with a nice balcony or verandah. The room was much nicer than many I have seen in the past. Lots of storage!! Not huge, but nice with a tub too!!

Grand Turk was first stop, we went kayaking, and was informed by our young guide that the US had dropped a nuclear bomb on Grand Turks many years ago to form a back way in to attack Cuba - And he was serious!! But anyhow, Grand Turk was devastated by 2 hurricanes, and is really just wiped out and in a very poor state. I should have just stayed at the beautiful beach by the pier and hung at More Margaritaville which is awesome, but expensive at $17 for a colada drink.

San Juan was just OK, very westernized, not too impressive, although we went on a rainforest tour which lasted way too long, which was OK, but would have had as much fun staying on the ship. We also went on a driving tour called San Juan driving tour and shopping tour. It was a waste of time and $

St Thomas was neat, went to Magans BAy Beach, it was beautiful. Then went to Blackbeards castle which was boring, and then shopping. Shopping is only jewelry stores, so unless you plan to buy jewelry, and you can get good deals, don't bother. I got my wife a 2.17 ct blue diamond ring for $2,000.00 from Diamonds Intl. If My jeweler appraises it for less they will give $ back, and it is backed by Holland America.

Half Moon Cay was incredibly beautiful. I can't explain it any better. Beautiful. Tenders were quick and only had to wait about 20 minutes to return, but I waited till the last minute to get back. Went on a nice bikeride while there.

I would not recommend doing more than 1 tour per spot, and at that make sure it is not a long one. Definitely don't need one at Grand Turk, unless you just want to see what a Hurricane can do.

Food all looked good. Thursday they had Crab Legs and Lobster so we cancelled our Pinnacle reservations, were told we would get our $40 back, but never did. So I had to wait in a long line to get the $ back.

The ship was nice, food service was for the most part good. Food was not incredible, but was good. I am 37, my wife is 39. We Definitely felt a bit out of place. The average age is probably 70. Many many wheelchairs and walkers. Never sat at a dinner table that was not retired. They were all nice, but probably would have been better off with RC or Princess.

My biggest complaint is the trip home that Holland arranged for us. We were made to get off the ship by 9:00 a.m. I caught a van ride to the airport quickly for $11 a person - not as cheap as a cab, but it was there and I was ready to go, so I didn't complain. They did not book our return flight home until 3:00. I had tried to get it changed months ahead of time with no luck, even though there were 4 other flights between 11 and 1. So we had to wait at the airport from 9:30 to 3:00 and watch all the other flights leave. They would not even check our luggage until 3 hours prior to the flight departing. They really let me down on that one. Next time I will book my own flights as I felt they really let me down after a pretty good week. Just a bad way to end a nice week. Less

Read more Eurodam cruise reviews >>
Read Cruise Critic's Eurodam Review >>

Cabin review: Eurodam Deluxe Verandah Oceanview Upper Promenade 8123

Lots of storage, nice balcony, CNN and ESPN all the time, a movie channel