Disney Wonder Cruise Review by cusyl

Cruise Date: March 2009
Embarkation: Port Canaveral
Destination: Bahamas
Cabin Category: 6A
See More About: Disney Wonder Cruise Reviews | Bahamas Cruise Reviews | Disney Cruise Deals
Public Rooms 5+
Entertainment 5+
Spa & Fitness 5+
        Under 3 5+

Ship Facts: Disney Wonder Review (by Cruise Critic!) | Disney Wonder Deck Plans
Wonderful Wonder cruise
My daughter invited me to sail with her and my 2 year old great grandson. We all had a great time and there was plenty to keep us busy. We arrived at the port around 10:30 and there was a very small line. I was a Castaway member, so there was a separate smaller line. It only took a few minutes to complete the sign in process, as we had filled in the online information.

They gave us sign and sail cards and we were instructed to go to another line where they would put our image on the cards. After that, if the boy had been 3 years old we would go to another line and sign up for the kids club. Since he was 2 1/2 the options were babysitting/play area in the Flounders Club which is $6.00 per hour, or he could play in the Oceaniers Club as long as someone stayed with him. My daughter took advantage of that several times. We did go to the "Lab" and get a wrist bracelet made with his name on it in case he should get separated from us.

We had booked an oceanview room on deck 2 but was upgraded to balcony cabin 6148 which was aft and had a nice metal balcony (not a plexiglas one). I had remembered the split bathrooms, but I have gained a lot of weight since I was on the ship 7 years ago. Unfortunately, I barely fit in the bathrooms and felt like I was "wearing the room". LOL I saw several people heavier than I and wondered how they managed it.

The first port was Nassau and we took our time getting off the ship. We took advantage of the free shuttle from the ship to the port entry. We took a taxi to Atlantis ($4.per person). We entered the hotel at 11:15 and walked to the right, thru some double doors to the right and went down the handicap elevator. We then walked right again and saw the fish, then realized that we were in The Dig, and not the restaurant area that we expected to find.(Later found out this is now closed) We walked all the way through the dig and to the exit by the pool where we asked the guard if there was a place we could eat lunch. She said, yes and pointed the way...then saw the Castaway lanyard and said, we should have had a pass to get that far so just take them off and put them away. We had a nice lunch out by the pool and then left.

Our taxi driver back to town told us that Atlantis had recently laid off 1000 workers and had closed some areas of the hotel and several restaurants. So the economy is hurting them as well.

Back on the ship, we ate dinner and then got ready for the Pirates Party up on deck 9. It was a fun time with lots of characters dancing and music. At 10:30 Mickey came down the slide for life from the funnel to the stage, and then the fireworks began. As we were leaving we walked by the buffet that had been set up and the place was crowded.

The next day was Castaway Cay and we had perfect weather for the beach. My great grandson participated in the crab race and was given a couple nice big pins with crabs on them. The barbeque was excellent and the abundance of fresh fruit was delicious.

Debarkation was easy. The breakfasts were staggered so that as you finished eating you could just walk off the ship with no lines to deal with. The porters were right there and took your luggage all the way to the parking lot. If you are flying and filled in the online information for your flight,when you leave your luggage outside your cabin the last night of the cruise, you will not see it again until you reach your final destination. (A really nice thing)

Publication Date: 03/16/09
Read the Bahamas ports review by cusyl
More Disney Wonder Cruise Reviews