Norwegian Pearl Cruise Review by papa squid

Norwegian Pearl
Member Name: papa squid
Cruise Date: January 2009
Cabin Category: OG
See More About: Norwegian Pearl Cruise Reviews | Western Caribbean Cruise Reviews | NCL Cruise Deals

WE DON'T CARE!!!
I will preface this review with 2 comments. First this is a beautiful, modern, well maintained ship. Second the management has no concern for the welfare of their passengers.

This ship visits 4 ports, the first is the island of Roatan (Honduras), the second Belize City (Belize), the third Cozumel (Mexico) and the last is Great Stirrup Cay a private island owned by NCL (Bahamas).

Roatan really has little to offer cruisers unless you dive or snorkel. Belize city is a slum but offers some interesting side trips but don't waste your time seeing the city or you will leave very depressed by the poverty you see everywhere and the garbage piled everywhere. Cozumel is the same as almost every other Caribbean port with the same bars, shops and water related activities. The private island is pretty and a nice place to go to the beach.

On our 3rd night of this cruise we decided to eat at one of the specialty restaurants onboard (Cagney's Steakhouse). My wife and I ordered our meals and ate our appetizers, the main course was served and my wife found her Filet Mignon tough, we summoned the waiter and he said he would have another steak prepared for my wife. She had a side of creamed spinach and told me to go ahead and eat my steak while it was hot and she would eat her spinach while she awaited a new steak. About 15 minutes later the waiter brought another filet and my wife tasted it and said it was fine but she did not feel well. She excused herself to the ladies room. I finished my steak and waited for her to return. She was gone and unusually long time and I began to be concerned when 15 minutes had passed when the waiter came to the table and asked if my wife was wearing a black and white blouse. I said she was and he said "she is on the floor in the ladies room". I rushed to the ladies room to find a small crowd gathered and a doctor and nurse bending over my wife. A young woman approached me and said that she had been in the ladies room with my wife. She told me my wife had started to throw up in the sink, turned ghostly white and fainted hitting her head on the tile floor very hard.

A wheelchair was brought up from the ships hospital and we were taken there. My wife had many bruises and sparing the details ended up with several stitches to the back of her head which had spit open from the fall. After a couple of hours we went to our cabin and were asked to return the next morning so the doctor could examine the wound again. My wife has never fainted and for a 65 year old woman is in extremely good physical condition and we could not understand what had caused this episode. She stayed in bed the whole next day and in the evening she insisted that I go out and do something entertaining.

I decided to go to the casino and play poker. I played for a couple of hours and the game was ready to break up when the gentleman sitting next to me commented that he normally would not play so long but his wife was in bed and had become sick shortly after eating at Cagney's, another gentleman at the other end of the table said "thats funny, wife is sick too and became sick shortly after eating at Cagney's. My wife and I had discussed the possibility of some form of food poisoning and the only thing she ate that I did not eat was the spinach. I asked both of the men at the poker table if their wives had eaten the spinach and both said yes but neither of them had eaten it and none of us had become ill.

After telling my wife what I had learned she called the food and beverage manager the next morning and requested that they not serve the spinach again until they could have it tested for pesticides of other contamination. His response was "I will credit your account for the meal but we have had no other complaints". That afternoon I saw both of the men from the poker table and they both said that they had received a call from the food and beverage manager who told them he had heard their meals a Cagney's were not satisfactory so he was crediting their accounts for the meals. Apparently he intended to continue serving the spinach and was crediting our meals to avoid a scandal.

I was billed almost $500.00 for the medical treatment my wife received and I went to the pursers office and asked that these charges be removed. I was refused but told as a courtesy they would give me a $200.00 credit, I asked if they stopped serving the spinach and the lady refused to answer. I went to Cagney's that evening and saw that they were still serving spinach. I don't know if this is the policy of NCL to avoid responsibility or just an overzealous staff trying to make the P&L look good but needless to say this cruise was a huge disappointment and we will never cruise on an NCL ship again.

We have returned home and my wife is recuperating from a minor concussion and suffers terrible headaches but NCL DOESN'T CARE.

Have a great vacation all; PAPA SQUID