Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by Girly13662

Home > Reviews > Member Reviews > Freedom of the Seas Cruise Review by Girly13662
Freedom of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Member Name: Girly13662
Cruise Date: March 2009
Spa & Fitness 5+

OK Food, Great Ship, Be Aware of BINGO games on board
Embarkation was a breeze. Everyone was very helpful, and it was only a matter of time before we were on the ship. It is very clean, and most of the staff are helpful and friendly. Our stateroom attendant was a little shy, but he was great. He was always fixing up our room when we were out, so he def. did he job well.

I have to say that I was disappointed in our dinner waiter. As most frequent cruiser know, at dinner service you can order as much of whatever you want. If you want another dinner, they bring it to you. If you want to try all the appetizers because you can't make up your mind, you can. I was 'selling' this way of dining to my boyfriend for weeks prior to the cruise and he was so excited to see how much he can eat for 'free'. At the very first dinner service, our waiter told my boyfriend that the 'line was closed' when he asked for an additional dinner. I have NEVER heard any waiter say that in all of the years I have been a cruiser. It was as if we were bothering him. After we said "The line is closed? But others are still getting their dinners' he said he would check and guess what....there just happened to be another dinner available. What a coincidence. After that initial dinner, he seemed to be annoyed with us everytime we asked for something else. On the second night of dinner, my boyfriend ordered us a bottle of wine. He tipped the waiter 10 dollars cash to open the bottle. Little did we know that a 5 dollar tip was already added on top of that. Then we skipped dinner 2 nights on the ship, and actually had a nice little dinner up in JADE. The tables were set up very nice and the service was great. On 'lobster' night, my boyfriend again, tipped our waiter in cash (20 bucks) before dinner even started. He handed the money to him, and said 'Just keep the lobsters coming." He brought him 2, and before we knew it, he was handing out dessert. The next day on an excursion we overheard a teenage boy say he had 6 lobsters! When it came time to tip at the end, I left a note in the envelope telling him how disappointed we were in the service, and clearly stated he received more than enough of a tip for the service he provided. Oddly enough our assistant waiter who was new and told us it was his first week, was way better than the regular waiter.

We only encountered one more 'rude' service person on board. I belive he was the bartender in Boleros. We passed by one night and wanted 2 soda's. He asked to see both soda sea pass cards, which nobody else asked for. My bf said 'You need to see both if we each want a soda? I didn't know that' Very rudely he said 'You learn something new all the time, right?" When my bf asked him if he was having a bad day or a shift change he kinda ignored us and just flatly said 'no'. Aside from these two, everyone else was great....Christian the roulette dealer, as well as all of the casino staff....awesome!

I would just be careful of getting sucked into the Bingo games. They don't tell you up front that if the last game (the big jackpot) isn't won within a certain amt of balls being pulled, they roll it over to the next game. Before you know it....you have played all 4 major games and are about 300 bucks in the hole for Bingo games. We did not settle our sea pass acct before we got off...just figured to leave it on the credit card. When we got home, they doubled all of the charges and a 1400 sea pass acct was now almost 2500! When he called they gave him some story about how they do that to ensure payment or something but would see the reverse of the charge in 2-5 business days, but until then his credit card was frozen. That is not right and I have never heard of something so stupid. Not sure if I will be going back on the Royal fleet of ships. Have heard great things about other lines and might give one of them a try. I am very upset seeing as how I have been on all of the ships and never had one complaint.

Publication Date: 03/16/09